S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Height problems after upper control arm replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2017 | 09:42 PM

2000 S430
Height problems after upper control arm replacement

Hi
I am continuing to struggle with height problems after replacing the upper and lower control arms on my 2000 S430.

I am looking into airmatic issues but one thing I noticed is a difference between the driver and passenger side upper control arms

When I jack the driver's side, the UCA tilts/sags down with the weight of the wheel and steering knuckle. But on the passenger side, the tilt is much less noticeable, at least an inch less than the driver's side.

You can see the difference in the pictures attached. The first picture is the driver's side. The second is passenger.

The UCAs are torqued to spec. Any insights what could cause such a difference? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Height problems after upper control arm replacement-driver-s-side.jpg   Height problems after upper control arm replacement-passenger-side.jpg  
Old 09-04-2019 | 01:01 PM

001 s600, 94 sl600
Unlevel after control arm replacement

Originally Posted by Ken_Tak
Hi
I am continuing to struggle with height problems after replacing the upper and lower control arms on my 2000 S430.

I am looking into airmatic issues but one thing I noticed is a difference between the driver and passenger side upper control arms

When I jack the driver's side, the UCA tilts/sags down with the weight of the wheel and steering knuckle. But on the passenger side, the tilt is much less noticeable, at least an inch less than the driver's side.

You can see the difference in the pictures attached. The first picture is the driver's side. The second is passenger.

The UCAs are torqued to spec. Any insights what could cause such a difference? Thanks.

The pivot bushing bolts MUST be torqued with the car weight sitting on the wheels (control arms at NORMAL RIDING position) Otherwise the rubber bushings are in torsion.