S500 1999 wont crank etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E55 1999 & W220 S500 1999
Talking S500 1999 wont crank etc.

Hi everybody
Been reading day and night about this issue. Seams like many have problems. So I'll go ahead and explain mine:

We bought a 1999 S500 from a old man. It was diagnosed with a bad ECU from the mercedes dealer.

Since then, it has been parked (2 years) after the owner didnt want to pay 3000 dollars for the new ecu. It felt to him like it didnt have to be the ecu..

Me and my friend like big mercedes cars with V8. So naturally we bought it. We also bought a used ecu from ebay.
Before swapping the ecu immo chip (HC11) we thought we wanted to do some fault finding our selfs first.

The car looks like it would start but when I put in the key and turn it to starter position, it only clicks/blinks in the cluster lights. Totally dead.

Car will accept key and turn to every position. Problem is it does so with the spare ecu also. (Even though it has wrong das codes/immo chip).

When starter relay is bridged it turns the starter really good. But doesnt start.

No fault codes with a ordinary obd2 reader (connects but gets no fault codes..).

The front fan is not at high speed, no fault codes. Key turns to every positon with both the old and new ecu with wrong immo chip (really funny thing). Just no starter cranking and no engine start when cranked manually with key in
driving position.

I'm just affraid its not the ecu. Some things like key turns even if the box is changed and so get me wondering.

Can the key be turned of the ecu is from another s500? If so, i guess I'll solder over the immo chip and test that.

Its a really nice car. Please help me get it back on the streets. I live in sweden.

//Peter
Old 10-30-2017, 04:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I would return the car to the original state and then find someone with DAS to provide a quick test------wada it say!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
First step is to change the fuses under passenger floor

second step is to swap a matched set of key , shifter ecu and ignition switch taken all from the same donor car . Any one of those parts can be faulty causing it not to crank but you need to change all 4 parts
Old 10-30-2017, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
First thing that I would check would be that the neutral safety switch is operating correctly.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:25 AM

Its been cold these few weeks. Been working with the mercedes.

This have been done:
New Ecu with imobilizer chip swapped. Still ni change. Car cranks for 1/2 a second but doesnt start even when bridging the starter relay (cranks Good bit wont start) It cranks för half a second before stopping with the key. Like it cuts out.

It turns key good and only with the right ones. With my w210 amg key it doesnt turn. So i guess the das system work.

Its either changing the entire ecu/shifter/eis or try sending eis in repair.

Any ideas?

//Peter
Old 12-28-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
Originally Posted by Peter Sandquist
Its been cold these few weeks. Been working with the mercedes.

This have been done:
New Ecu with imobilizer chip swapped. Still ni change. Car cranks for 1/2 a second but doesnt start even when bridging the starter relay (cranks Good bit wont start) It cranks för half a second before stopping with the key. Like it cuts out.

It turns key good and only with the right ones. With my w210 amg key it doesnt turn. So i guess the das system work.

Its either changing the entire ecu/shifter/eis or try sending eis in repair.

Any ideas?

//Peter
Try putting the shifter into neutral. Mine does the same thing sometimes when parked on a big incline. Putting the shifter into neutral gets the starter spinning and starts the car. The problem then goes away until the next incline.

Bob
Old 12-28-2017, 08:27 AM

Hi, har is lifted in front för easy axess to starter etc. Look at picture. I have a Youtube video with some info written. Heres the links:

My fine e55 and a broken s500 w220

https://youtu.be/pTuFhZF8-sQ

What cuts out the start sequence. Is the eis toast? Ecu jag no fault codes and answer when checked with my obd2 tool.

Diagnosed with bad ecu at dealer years ago. (Ecu changed incl. Imobilizer chip).

Old owner said battery died. Bought a new and car never started again.

Look at video. Any ideas?

//Peter
Old 12-28-2017, 09:19 AM

www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2642441-possible-immobilizer-problem.html#/topics/2642441?page=1

This guy seams to have har similar problems. Does the key turn if eis match but ecu don't? Then i could be ecu that cuts out start procedure. Would explain why the car behavior didnt change when trying another ecu with wrong imobilizer chip.

My thoughts are that the previous owner changed ecu after dealer wanted 2500$ for a new one. He claimes he hasent changed it.

//Peter

Last edited by Peter Sandquist; 12-28-2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Link
Old 12-28-2017, 10:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
na
If you end up needing a new ecu, give us a call! +1-888-875-2958
Old 06-05-2018, 07:53 AM

Hi everybody!
I have solved the problems with the car. It had multiple problems.

I didnt get hold of a ecu kit with the right number, searched for months. (a0265458932) but got hold of a kit with almost the same number (last 4 digits was wrong).

The ecu donor car was a S430 from 1999, and I bought ecu from ebay. (donor car had retractable foof or what its called, our didnt have it.) With the ecu kit, the car started right up but had about 100 star faults, or at least it felt like that. After cleaning codes only a few was active. The old ecu had faulty das information, was the conclusion. Thats why it didnt start and we had to exchange the ecu/eis/shifter as previously mentioned. Star showed old ecu locked when coding it with star, not same info as eis/shifter, no das match. The old ecu info was not salvageble either so it must have been something wrong with it. We tried before to solder over the old das chip to another ecu. Didnt work.

After car started, the door modules was faulty and seats didnt work and i found new modules at the wrecker. (not same part number either but same model as old one, visable)

The front left (driver side) was waterdamaged because lid wás not hooked securly and I found a new one (lowering steering wheel started working). The part number didnt match here either but it worked great.

Last fault was diagnosed thru star as rear sam faulty under rear seat, threw the bad sam module code. This proved to be a faulty fuse connector (visable nothing wrong, internally bad) at rear sam. Nearest the cowl. That fuse came out as faulty sam under rear seat and when putting preassure on the old fuse connector with my hand, it worked and controlpanel/warning lights started working. Changed the fuse connector from another one from the wrecker and spliced the cable permanently with a duraseal connector and now the car works fine. Only star code now is a faulty electric roof module, but the car dont have any electric roof (donor car did). So its fine.

So, easy enough. Not a simple part number was right but ecu had right internals and came with matching eis/esm, early model s430-500 (1998-1999) efi style. Door modules looked like the same and workes great (from a 2001 s320) and left sam module with wrong parts number but looked the same otherwise (from a s430). Took all parts from the wrecker yard cheap. Star C3 is a must when having these w220 cars. *lol*

So, If you cant find the right part with partsnumber. Look at the car you have and the donor car. Does it have the same och donor car is more outfitted, it'll problably work. But at your own risk. There are two diffrent efi used on these cars, w220 (atleast 2). The early and the later w220. Boxes lookes different. When a w220 comes up at the wrecker, even if the numbers dont match, if its cheap. Try. It worked here.

Totally money spent is: 450$ including air compressor, ecu kit, door modules and sam module.

And everyone that ownes w220 needs the star c3 or c4.

One more w220 back on the road.

//Peter