Rear Airmatic Issues :-(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S350
Rear Airmatic Issues :-(

Hiya!
I have a 2004/w220 S350 with airmatic suspension issues. We replaced one of the front struts with OEM when we purchased the car about 6 months ago. Since then I have had an intermittent airmatic code error. The issue became apparent one morning when the back passenger side was right down over the wheel. We purchased another OEM strut from the same supplier and it was put in.

This has fixed the worst of the problem but a slow leak continues which puts the car down within a few hours - a day. It is not consistent.. sometimes it stays up longer than others.. even parked in the same position. We have thread tape on the seal and there are no super apparent leaks at the brass fitting connectors any more.

The entire rear of the car deflates but more noticeably on the side that has the stut replaced. The pump is working and inflates the car again when you press the button to raise. There have been no airmatic error codes recently.

Any suggestions please? Will a diagnostics report tell me where to look for the leak?
Old 01-06-2018, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
If you have (or have access to) DAS (the STAR Diagnostic Assistance System) there are extensive and detailed diagnostics for the Airmatic system - but it often comes down to using soapy water and a brush, or the earpiece and tubes of a stethoscope to locate an air leak in a line or a connector.

Was the replaced rear strut a new factory strut? Or a used one? Or an aftermarket? Or an aftermarket counterfeit?

It is very difficult to detect a leak in the rolling diaphragm that is the heart of the strut.

It is also difficult to diagnose a leaking valve inside the main valve body.