4.3 full service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
s430
4.3 full service

Hello,

My newly acquired 01 S430 is going to be needing a ton of maintenance done to it soon, as I have no service history.

My current cause for concern is the noises coming from the engine.
I have a very faint tick on the drivers side, but it doesn't seem to be RPM dependent. It definitely sounded like engine and not coming from the fuse box close by though.
Another noise sounds unmistakably like timing chain slack, and a lot of it.
And a third noise is a bit more confusing. It is coming from the bell-housing area by ear, and sounds like something is loose and rattling. It is inconsistent and sometimes finds a resonance where it makes a ton of noise. Further testing will be done, but I'm hoping for a loose exhaust mount or something.

Does anyone have access to a service program? I would love to have a copy of the procedure for replacing the timing kit, as well as special tools needed, and billable hours for the job.
Also, is there a way, or an access spot to verify the timing chain slack without pulling the engine apart too far?

Aside from the basics, is there anything else I should do maintenance on?
I've read about a conductor plate and electrical socket in the transmission, which can probably be done when I do a fluid and filter change.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by OhYou_
Hello,

My newly acquired 01 S430 is going to be needing a ton of maintenance done to it soon, as I have no service history.

My current cause for concern is the noises coming from the engine.
I have a very faint tick on the drivers side, but it doesn't seem to be RPM dependent. It definitely sounded like engine and not coming from the fuse box close by though.
Another noise sounds unmistakably like timing chain slack, and a lot of it.
And a third noise is a bit more confusing. It is coming from the bell-housing area by ear, and sounds like something is loose and rattling. It is inconsistent and sometimes finds a resonance where it makes a ton of noise. Further testing will be done, but I'm hoping for a loose exhaust mount or something.

Does anyone have access to a service program? I would love to have a copy of the procedure for replacing the timing kit, as well as special tools needed, and billable hours for the job.
Also, is there a way, or an access spot to verify the timing chain slack without pulling the engine apart too far?

Aside from the basics, is there anything else I should do maintenance on?
I've read about a conductor plate and electrical socket in the transmission, which can probably be done when I do a fluid and filter change.
very unlikely to have a timing chain issue in this car, that was the older engines that needed it . Much more likely your belt and belt tensioner needs replacing, that's a part of maintenance anyway

yes for the transmission do just the 13 pin connecting and fluid and filter . Don't change the conductor plate if you don't have any problem
Old 01-31-2018, 03:53 PM

s430
Originally Posted by tusabes

very unlikely to have a timing chain issue in this car, that was the older engines that needed it . Much more likely your belt and belt tensioner needs replacing, that's a part of maintenance anyway

yes for the transmission do just the 13 pin connecting and fluid and filter . Don't change the conductor plate if you don't have any problem
I'll pull the drive belt and see, but I cant imagine it being anything else. Its such a distinct sound, the chain slapping against the guides.
It does have 230,000 miles on it, and has likely never been changed.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:07 PM

s430
Bit of an update.

The ticking sound is coming from the purge control valve, Pn: 0004708893
I removed the serpentine belt, and the noise persisted. I also observed it a lot more closely, and it doesn't seem to do it when the engine is cold. I dont believe it's the secondary air pump either, as I'm pretty sure I heard that come on a couple times.

I also have a 2.5A battery drain it seems.
I found Fuse F13 to be contributing 1A to this. But this fuse seems to do about 16 things.
The other 1.5A is somewhere in the rear fuse panel.