S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Door latch pneumatic valves

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
s430
Door latch pneumatic valves

I've got a few problems with some of the pneumatics on my s430.
The biggest issue (That I cant find any info on) is that the driver door does not lock. Even if I try to manually push it down.
I don't hear any air leaks when I try to lock it either, but I haven't pulled the door apart yet to look at it.
The only notable thing is that soft-close doesn't work on that door too.

Soft-close is also leaking from the pneumatic valve distribution thing for the trunk. I am unable to find just a replacement valve piece. I can only find the whole unit, which is a bit wasteful.
I also was able to pull one from a junkyard, but it was broken too.
Can I just glue it? Has anyone tried? its just a crack at the end of a tube by a metal ball thing, which looks like a common failure. I couldn't get the ball to move, so I'm assuming it isn't a check valve?

And finally, the rear headrests do not go up when I press the button on the dash. They are just down. I haven't even looked at them yet though.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Failure to lock with the manual door button usually indicates a mechanical problem with the door latch. No way to know if the pneumatic actuators are functional until it will work manually. Soft-close has little or nothing to do with door locking - different actuators.

Broken trunk lock actuator is a common fault, and yes, gluing it is a common option. Strong epoxy combined with wire-ties is the usual approach. Easier to do with it out. Do NOT close the trunk lid with the lock mechanism disconnected!

Common option on the S430 headrests is manually pulled up, pneumatic released to fall down.

To reset the PSE (Pneumatic Service Equipment) computer, go to the right rear passenger position. Look behind the passenger's heels for the floor lamp. Pop it out of the wall, and find the yellow 25-Amp fuse close to the inboard end of the fuses. Take it out, then put it back - that resets the computer. If one of the mechanisms fails to function within the expected time allotted, the computer will shut that particular mechanism off until the computer is reset.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:25 PM

s430
Originally Posted by wallyp
Failure to lock with the manual door button usually indicates a mechanical problem with the door latch. No way to know if the pneumatic actuators are functional until it will work manually. Soft-close has little or nothing to do with door locking - different actuators.

Broken trunk lock actuator is a common fault, and yes, gluing it is a common option. Strong epoxy combined with wire-ties is the usual approach. Easier to do with it out. Do NOT close the trunk lid with the lock mechanism disconnected!

Common option on the S430 headrests is manually pulled up, pneumatic released to fall down.

To reset the PSE (Pneumatic Service Equipment) computer, go to the right rear passenger position. Look behind the passenger's heels for the floor lamp. Pop it out of the wall, and find the yellow 25-Amp fuse close to the inboard end of the fuses. Take it out, then put it back - that resets the computer. If one of the mechanisms fails to function within the expected time allotted, the computer will shut that particular mechanism off until the computer is reset.
I'll have to pull the door panel off and look at it on Wednesday. I'll definitely want the door locks to work.

For the trunk, I'll try glue and ties. I need soft-close to work for now at least because the trunk seems to think its been closed if you open it halfway.
And so it just hisses in your face for 5 seconds and then doesn't work anymore. And the only way to close it then is to manually open it with the key.
Found a few threads about people who got locked out of their trunk, and had to make a hole in it. I'd rather not do that.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
There are numerous threads on YouTube on removing the door panel, repairing the trunk lock, etc., etc.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:04 AM

s430
So you can not manually lock the drivers door when it is open.

I found this out before pulling the door panel thankfully.
It's dumb I couldn't find this anywhere, never had a car that does this.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2004 S600, 1998 M3, 1974 2002 Touring, 2006 Cayman S
If you need to remove the door lock on the front doors, just know you'll need to drill out the rivets to move the window guide out of the way to remove the actuator. New rivets are easy to put back in with a rivet tool.