S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Cheap Airshocks Review + Lowering (Washer Method)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2006 S430 AMG
Cheap Airshocks Review + Lowering (Washer Method)

Few weeks back I noticed that the used car dealer that sold us the car installed 2 cheapo front shocks. I looked at them and they do not look like Strutmasters or Arnott ones. I have a feeling they acquired the car with front end shocks that were shot and threw these on to sell the car.

Figured I would give you guys a quick review/impressions on these "cheap" air shocks. We had the car for 1.5 years and had no problems. We noticed the front end of the car is a bit higher than usual which I will talk about in a second. But in general the car feels fine and although I don't know how it should feel since I haven't been in a W220 with stock or Arnott ones, I can say that it is more comfortable than stock suspension on W221. Sports modes work fine and can certainly tell the difference between stock, Sport 1 and Sport 2.

If and when they go I will most likely replace them with Arnott or go to Spring suspension (let's hope it doesn't happen).

Onto the lowering. I decided to level the front end to match the back this weekend. Put the car on jack stands and installed 3 washers. Car dropped about 1" and looks perfect. I'm sure some (including my kids) would want it even lower but after few ramp tests I feel comfortable with it. Ride quality is no different, just hope tire wear doesn't suffer.