S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Instrument cluster DIY repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
s430
Instrument cluster DIY repair

I successfully repaired my instrument cluster FINALLY.
All for about $30, too.

Here's all my findings along the way.

A 2000 cluster is useless. it's completely different inside.
I have a 2001 thankfully.
Here's how I repaired it:
1. I found a 03 cluster in working condition out of a junkyard for 30 bucks.
2. Pull the cover and remove the whole guts out of it.
3. transfer the three (probably just the two closest, didn't test) MOSFETs close to the big red thing on the first board. These are the three that are sold in the kits.
4. unplug and remove the lcd screen, put the speedo at 60 first to keep it out of the way
5. unplug the board interconnects from the bottom board, not the top,then put the speedo at 130 and CAREFULLY separate the boards.
You will be bending the speedo arm to get it out and back in, so be careful, removing the warning lamps helps.
6. from here, simply swap the lower board and gauges, everything there. Your mileage is held on the top board.
I swapped the 03 lower into my 01, despite it being completely different. I'm pretty sure 01-02 is exactly the same, but it doesn't seem to matter.
7. reassemble everything.

You might not need to swap the lower board, (bulbs, hv transformer), so check in your car after replacing the mosfets first.
The mileage is not held in the lcd display. Which sucks I might add.
DONT remove the gauge arms. they are not keyed, and you'll probably get them off a bit. (it can maybe be fixed in DAS?)
The 01 screen wont work in an 03
The 01 screen will work in an 00
The 00 cluster is mapped incorrectly for an 01 car/buttons
Don't get random mosfets off amazon that look close enough, it makes a lot of smoke come out
The 03 gives me digital speedo, but the 01 doesnt, but gives me tank level in gallons. (I will try to fix this with DAS, but idk)
Not too sure about 04-06
The following 2 users liked this post by OhYou_:
Abdurrhman (06-10-2023), MikeKerr7 (02-25-2018)
Old 03-03-2023, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w220
LCD

I would like to know where i can buy the correct part - W220 S350. Please send me link that lead to the part. Thanks

QUOTE=OhYou_;7389789]I successfully repaired my instrument cluster FINALLY.
All for about $30, too.

Here's all my findings along the way.

A 2000 cluster is useless. it's completely different inside.
I have a 2001 thankfully.
Here's how I repaired it:
1. I found a 03 cluster in working condition out of a junkyard for 30 bucks.
2. Pull the cover and remove the whole guts out of it.
3. transfer the three (probably just the two closest, didn't test) MOSFETs close to the big red thing on the first board. These are the three that are sold in the kits.
4. unplug and remove the lcd screen, put the speedo at 60 first to keep it out of the way
5. unplug the board interconnects from the bottom board, not the top,then put the speedo at 130 and CAREFULLY separate the boards.
You will be bending the speedo arm to get it out and back in, so be careful, removing the warning lamps helps.
6. from here, simply swap the lower board and gauges, everything there. Your mileage is held on the top board.
I swapped the 03 lower into my 01, despite it being completely different. I'm pretty sure 01-02 is exactly the same, but it doesn't seem to matter.
7. reassemble everything.

You might not need to swap the lower board, (bulbs, hv transformer), so check in your car after replacing the mosfets first.
The mileage is not held in the lcd display. Which sucks I might add.
DONT remove the gauge arms. they are not keyed, and you'll probably get them off a bit. (it can maybe be fixed in DAS?)
The 01 screen wont work in an 03
The 01 screen will work in an 00
The 00 cluster is mapped incorrectly for an 01 car/buttons
Don't get random mosfets off amazon that look close enough, it makes a lot of smoke come out
The 03 gives me digital speedo, but the 01 doesnt, but gives me tank level in gallons. (I will try to fix this with DAS, but idk)
Not too sure about 04-06[/QUOTE]