S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2004 S500 Purchase w/ Few Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2018 | 07:26 AM

W211 2008 E350 Sedan 4Matic
2004 S500 Purchase w/ Few Issues

Hello Everyone, I need some help with this car. When I got it dropped off from the auction with 152k Miles, I notice the airmatics on this car was not working, the car turned on and drive but completely on the ground. I left it alone and said I was going to tackle it down the line. In the last 2 days, I’ve been checking everything and notice a few other things which I am going to list now.

1- Air Pump, not receiving power to the 8ga-10ga wire but yes to the selonoid, all fuse has been checked and relay has been swapped.
2- Engine Fan, is not receiving power to the 8ga wire, there is a small wire that do have power but not the main one, all fuse has been checked and relay has been swapped.
3- Truck Release, does not work, on the door, on the remote or on the trunk, all fuse has been checked.

NOTE: When further inspecting I notice all pictures related to driver side fuse box, the connector wire pack/bunch with the 2 RED wires at top, is located on the left side looking at it from the front of the car, mine is the opposite and I am wondering if all this issues is because someone misplaced the 2 connector, wire bunch in the wrong place.

NEED HELP WITH:
Can a few of you guys post a picture of the driver side fuse box that will show the wire pack as well, just so I can compare and hopefully I can go ahead switches them out, if mine is wrong? Thanks from Ralph
Old 05-10-2018 | 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 S500 2007 GL450
First - Standard procedure is that on a vehicle, left/right is always defined from the viewpoint of being seated in the driver's seat. It is especially important to remember this when you are working under the hood - the left side of the engine compartment is behind the left headlight, even though it is on your right as you stand in front of the vehicle.

Second, we don't know where you are, nor whether your car is LHD or RHD.

Sounds as if you may have a faulty main fuse or connection. There are main fuses in two locations - in the right rear fender, under the trunk lining, forward of the battery; and under the right front carpet, under aluminum shields. These underfloor circuits are susceptible to water damage from a plugged drain in the underhood HVAC plenum. The best way to check is to use a test light made from an old headlamp bulb, which will draw enough current to make an effective test. If there is any trace of corrosion, disconnecting the battery and carefully and thoroughly cleaning every bit of the fuse area is a good policy. Never disconnect or disassemble any part of the main circuits with the battery connected. Be certain to retain the battery cable so it cannot creep back and touch the battery terminal.
Old 05-10-2018 | 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by wallyp
First - Standard procedure is that on a vehicle, left/right is always defined from the viewpoint of being seated in the driver's seat. It is especially important to remember this when you are working under the hood - the left side of the engine compartment is behind the left headlight, even though it is on your right as you stand in front of the vehicle.

Second, we don't know where you are, nor whether your car is LHD or RHD.

Sounds as if you may have a faulty main fuse or connection. There are main fuses in two locations - in the right rear fender, under the trunk lining, forward of the battery; and under the right front carpet, under aluminum shields. These underfloor circuits are susceptible to water damage from a plugged drain in the underhood HVAC plenum. The best way to check is to use a test light made from an old headlamp bulb, which will draw enough current to make an effective test. If there is any trace of corrosion, disconnecting the battery and carefully and thoroughly cleaning every bit of the fuse area is a good policy. Never disconnect or disassemble any part of the main circuits with the battery connected. Be certain to retain the battery cable so it cannot creep back and touch the battery terminal.
Thanks for the info Wally, i am located in USA, its a LHD. I will check that during the following days. What about the connectors with a bunch of wires going to the left/driver side fuse box. Could someone have been able to swap them?

Last edited by Fresh101; 05-10-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-10-2018 | 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 S500 2007 GL450
I think that anything is possible, but I would not start swapping wires around without a lot of research first. It's pretty easy to let the magic smoke escape...
Old 05-10-2018 | 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by wallyp
I think that anything is possible, but I would not start swapping wires around without a lot of research first. It's pretty easy to let the magic smoke escape...
Ok kool. I’ll let you know what I find when I open up the main fuse that you had mentioned. Thanks