S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Front Side Marker lights are out (on bumper)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 02:19 PM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Former R230, W220 and W221 owner
Front Side Marker lights are out (on bumper)

2002 S500

Both front side marker lights are out. No message on the dash. Indy dealer noticed the issue when i brought in my car for "check low beam R" message. Replacing the bulbs didn't fix the issue. Didn't want to pay the diagnostic fee after dropping $1100 for a new rear SAM. I told them I'll figure it out on my own.

He said that I need to change the ballast for the headlight which may fix the side marker issues. Is there a fuse I should check for? Thanks
Old 05-30-2018, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
It is relatively easy to swap the ballasts - if the problem follows the ballast, it is the problem. If the problem stays on the same side, the problem might be a faulty ground connection, a faulty power connection, broken wire, etc. There is no standard fuse on the headlamps - the left SAM monitors the right headlamp, and turns off the power if there is a problem. The SAM keeps checking to see if the problem is gone.

The fuse chart for your car should be on a small piece of paper rolled up and placed on top of your tool holder, on top of the spare tire. The headlamp ballast has no connection with the marker lamps.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:46 AM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Former R230, W220 and W221 owner
Originally Posted by wallyp
It is relatively easy to swap the ballasts - if the problem follows the ballast, it is the problem. If the problem stays on the same side, the problem might be a faulty ground connection, a faulty power connection, broken wire, etc. There is no standard fuse on the headlamps - the left SAM monitors the right headlamp, and turns off the power if there is a problem. The SAM keeps checking to see if the problem is gone.

The fuse chart for your car should be on a small piece of paper rolled up and placed on top of your tool holder, on top of the spare tire. The headlamp ballast has no connection with the marker lamps.
Yea, I've already changed the ballast once (a month ago) and it went bad again. I'm going to try to swap sides and see if it follows. That way I can determine if its the ballast or something else. STAR came back as BOTH ballast needing to be replaced even tho I'm only getting a warning for the right side. I do have aftermarket bulbs in there and the indy said it could be because of incorrect wattage/compatibility. He said I should stick with genuine bulbs.

I'll try putting in genuine bulbs first. If that doesn't work, I'll swap ballasts