JDM to USDM Comand - 2003 S600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S600
JDM to USDM Comand - 2003 S600

Hey guys,

Done quite a bit of research on this but haven't got a totally straight answer and hoping I can get some guidance here! I recently purchased a minty 03 S600 with 29k miles. Its a JDM car and from what I have read the system used in Japan is a completely different Comand setup from the rest of the world.. also been 03 I understand it has the D2B fiber optic system.

I would like to either convert the car to a USDM Comand or one of the Android displays found on Ebay (fire suit on)... Is it possible to simply switch Comand systems from JDM to USDM or is replacement of all components actually required as I read someone did with an earlier W220s? Is there an available D2B converter available? if so where do do I purchase it? I am aware of the Soundgate unit which is now discontinued.

Help is greatly appreciated

Last edited by CanadianV12; 06-23-2018 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 488 Likes on 432 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by CanadianV12
Hey guys,

Done quite a bit of research on this but haven't got a totally straight answer and hoping I can get some guidance here! I recently purchased a minty 03 S600 with 29k miles. Its a JDM car and from what I have read the system used in Japan is a completely different Comand setup from the rest of the world.. also been 03 I understand it has the D2B fiber optic system.

I would like to either convert the car to a USDM Comand or one of the Android displays found on Ebay (fire suit on)... Is it possible to simply switch Comand systems from JDM to USDM or is replacement of all components actually required as I read someone did with an earlier W220s? Is there an available D2B converter available? if so where do do I purchase it? I am aware of the Soundgate unit which is now discontinued.

Help is greatly appreciated
ive seen other posts where a Jdm command unit did indeed directly swap into a USA car so the reverse should be true as well . Just get the same type of head unit (2004-2006 USA head units were different from the 2003 which was a one year only unit in the USA , I even though they are both wide screen. I don’t know if the 2003 jdm unit was the same unique one year only model )

really though ugh it’s probably better to get the Chinese android units as they have so many upgraded features
Old 06-23-2018, 08:22 PM

2003 S600
Originally Posted by tusabes

ive seen other posts where a Jdm command unit did indeed directly swap into a USA car so the reverse should be true as well . Just get the same type of head unit (2004-2006 USA head units were different from the 2003 which was a one year only unit in the USA , I even though they are both wide screen. I don’t know if the 2003 jdm unit was the same unique one year only model )

really though ugh it’s probably better to get the Chinese android units as they have so many upgraded features
Interesting I might get one to try it and let the community know.

The issue I have found for the Android units is the earlier ones with D2B require the box for conversion however I have been unable to find a suitable unit. Southgate used to make one but it seems to be discontinued.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:10 AM

2003 S600
So update on this.

After some research I came to learn the JDM W220s use the MOST system. I purchased one of the Ebay Android systems with the optional Fiber optic decoder box which arrived in 2 business days. Install was quite simply and it works flawlessly so far with my Bose system... Radio, Bluetooth, navigation, wifi, steering wheel controls etc.

Ebay Stereo
Optical Decoder

Had to wire in a constant power for the decoder box (Use: 4 pin connector, Red/Yellow Wire) , switched power and chassis ground for a few wires depending which features you would like... Those 2 I robbed off the cigar lighter.

Other than that everything was plug and play with the JDM system! You only reuse the 4 pin factory connector , antenna wiring and the 2 pin fiber optic plug.. All other connections are left unused including the 1 pin fiber optic plug.

Hope this helps someone down the line!

Last edited by CanadianV12; 07-31-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:50 PM

2001 S600
How are you liking the unit itself? I'm on the same boat, I have a 2001 s600 jdm but its still left hand drive and I'm contemplating what unit I should put on.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:57 AM

2003 S600
All functions work flawlessly and really makes for an enjoyable drive. I would actually say its the best aftermarket stereo I have used to date. It has 3 USB connections, Bluetooth connects in seconds and for calls and music works as it should, sound quality doesnt seem to lack, navigation is spot on with the preloaded maps (i didnt get wifi), the other apps are handy as well once setup. My only gripe is the screen doesn't go bright enough / it reflects the sun easily

For the 2001 I would be wary as to whether its a D2B or MOST system. I know I said they are but I can only truly speak for this car. Remove the stereo unit and post some pictures of the plugs if possible so I can lend a hand before you go out and spend $$$ on a system.

Last edited by CanadianV12; 08-15-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:38 PM

2001 S600
All functions work flawlessly and really makes for an enjoyable drive. I would actually say its the best aftermarket stereo I have used to date. It has 3 USB connections, Bluetooth connects in seconds and for calls and music works as it should, sound quality doesnt seem to lack, navigation is spot on with the preloaded maps (i didnt get wifi), the other apps are handy as well once setup. My only gripe is the screen doesn't go bright enough / it reflects the sun easily

For the 2001 I would be wary as to whether its a D2B or MOST system. I know I said they are but I can only truly speak for this car. Remove the stereo unit and post some pictures of the plugs if possible so I can lend a hand before you go out and spend $$$ on a system.

You know what..when I got mine the unit wasn't there. The previous owner kept it because I got mine imported privately, not through an auction so its 1 owner and pretty great shape. I had an audio guy take a quick look at the wiring and I was told the harness from a Pioneer deck is there. He's like pick any unit you want and it should be plug and play.

I was contemplating selling the car but Im doing some maintenance work on it and its in too good of a shape for me to give it to someone else haha so I want to make sure I pick the right route for the audio.

Where are you in Canada? I'm in ottawa!.

I'm changing the valve cover gaskets/spark plugs/intake mani gaskets etc. while I'm doing the power steering pump swap for the coil over conversion. Once all thats done I'll tackle the audio issue and I'll be sure to post current status vs what I end up doing to it
Old 08-16-2018, 12:07 AM

2003 S600
Nice! if its had a stereo before that should take care of alot. It was extremely simple to wire in this deck, Most connections go unused... Navigation, disc changer etc. The only IF is the Fiberoptic in my opinion.

They are great cars to drive. I used to live in Japan and exported cars around the world. I now import cars on a small basis so I have alot of close connections. My friend inspected the car for me, it was an auction grade 4.5 / 5 and had 48,000kms. I am a ticketed mechanic by trade so the complexity of this car don't put me off.

I am in Lethbridge Alberta, about 2 hours south of Calgary. Let me know your plans! I am always interested to hear others experiences. Especially with JDM cars, although very similar the JDM cars do have some quarks to them

Here is my car, i installed the wheels last week and a set of lowering links. This is on the middle setting for ABC suspension, the low setting it tucks pretty good

Old 08-22-2018, 05:54 PM

2001 S600
Nice! if its had a stereo before that should take care of alot. It was extremely simple to wire in this deck, Most connections go unused... Navigation, disc changer etc. The only IF is the Fiberoptic in my opinion.

They are great cars to drive. I used to live in Japan and exported cars around the world. I now import cars on a small basis so I have alot of close connections. My friend inspected the car for me, it was an auction grade 4.5 / 5 and had 48,000kms. I am a ticketed mechanic by trade so the complexity of this car don't put me off.

I am in Lethbridge Alberta, about 2 hours south of Calgary. Let me know your plans! I am always interested to hear others experiences. Especially with JDM cars, although very similar the JDM cars do have some quarks to them

Here is my car, i installed the wheels last week and a set of lowering links. This is on the middle setting for ABC suspension, the low setting it tucks pretty good

looks great. wow man I just drove from Calgary to Ottawa couple weeks ago. would've been nice to meet up when I was there. if I drive back I'll hit you up. Im working on installing a non abc ps pump after the coilover conversion. Once its back on the road, the audio issue is the only thing I'll have to get to.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:18 AM

bmw 3 series
I'm glad you've managed to sort everything out. I decided to find out more information about this subject, so I thought about asking some dealers about the subject. Here https://www.jdmbuysell.com/dealers/ was the full list of jdm dealers and I got in touch with a few of them. Unfortunately, they told me they sell cars and they can share with me only information about the cars they sell. I'll keep looking, though..

Last edited by crisnilland; 07-11-2020 at 11:49 AM.