S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Ideas? Airmatic will not lower - zero air pressure!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 W220 S430
Ideas? Airmatic will not lower - zero air pressure!

Hi All,

My first post to the group! ...long time lurking.

I have a 2001 S430 with a strange Airmatic problem: I cannot lower the rear end! After much troubleshooting and speculation, I replaced the level sensor; no change. I have a new valve block and pump, with a new relay and air filter (always be prepared), I disconnected all the air hoses to install the new pump and valve block, and to my surprise, the rear still will not drop! Nothing I do can make it go down. (Yes. Even bouncing on it. I'm not proud of that, but I tried it!) I installed the new valve and pump, tried to raise and then lower the rear, but no luck. It actually raised up another half inch, but still will not drop. Today, I am dragging my feet getting ready to install new rear airsprings, but wow, am I getting tired of this fight! Questions: Is there some kind of check valve in the rear airsprings that can prevent them from dropping? Does the damping valve have any connection to this? I tried opening and closing the damping valves, but nadda, no change. I pulled the air lines off the valve block and left it overnight, predictably, the front end was on the ground, but the rear is still sky-high! Arrrg!

I am using an Autel MaxiDAS DS808 to do the testing and troubleshooting, but the only problem being reported is that the rear levels are out of range. Uh... yep. All of the pneumatic tests showed good before I began, but now, after all my work, I have air leaks between the pump and valve block, between the air tank and valve block, and to my left front airspring. >sigh< I need a shoulder to cry on... but I'm still not ready to surrender to the dealer!!

I'll report back after I change out the airsprings, but any ideas?
Old 06-29-2018, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,086 Likes on 720 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
I am unfamiliar with the capabilitiesof the autel Maxidas, it is my understanding that a new level sensor has to be reprogrammed on the MB Star system which also sets and or changes ride height, I don't believe the Autel can do that, although it is an excellent tool. It did however tell you the ride height was to high...