S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Highlights: 2006 W220 Right Rear Door Latch Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 03:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
Highlights: 2006 W220 Right Rear Door Latch Replacement

There are many topicss related to remove/replace/debug and much more regarding the W220 PSE system, in my case, my right rear door lost suddenly lost it's soft close ability along with a door locking/unlocking malfunction.
  • Symtom: Hissing noise when trying to close the right rear door while engaging the 1st detent of of the soft close mechanism
  • Problem: Once the door panel was removed, the entire soft close plunger/piston housing was detached with the piston membrane exposed
  • Solution 1: Purchased a infamous repair kit, only to get defective one where the air line would not latch into the assembly - I was able to return it to the Ebay seller for a full refund
  • Solution 2: Purchased a used rigth rear door latch from Ebay for $36, this one appears to be a prime good part with no cracks around the soft close piston assembly
  • This worked with a simple R&R both the soft close and door lock now function normally
Highlight/Observations:
  • The material for the repair kit I received was made of a dark blue color plastic, not white or black, the kit probably would of worked fine if the air line would of attached correctly. Although the blue material seem slightly softer than OEM, which maybe the cause of pre-mature failure that others have reported.
  • In other posts, part numbers per car and door maybe different. Since my car is a USA model, I assumed that most W220 have soft close doors. But the part I ordered was numbered: 220 730 50 35 and my original latch part number is 220 730 72 35. On my latch I had an extra soleniod that actuated a small white lever, but the lever did not seem to connect any mechanical mechanism in the latch. It also a its own 2 wire harness and plug. The solenoid was held into the original latch by one clip and I easily transferred it from old to new with the wiring harness. So my case the different part number was usable by transferring the solenoid over from the old.
  • Tip 1 remove the door handle assembly on the inside of the door to get the latch assembly out easily.
  • Tip 2 the bottom of the inside of the rear door is black hole when dropping any screw or small parts, keep a small flat piece of plastic to slide any fallen part forward in the door for retrieval.
  • Tip 3 remove the entire membrane between the door panel and inside metal of the door, this makes disassembly much easier and the membrane fits easily back into it's stock location.

The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (07-23-2018)