How to switch to Synthetic Trans Fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C Class
How to switch to Synthetic Trans Fluid?

2001 S500 95000 miles.
I notice when first starting the car, if I put it into gear right after starting up.. it shudders just a tiny bit before fully engaging. After that it's fine. I'm assuming that this might signal I need to change oil/filter in trans.
If this is the case, I want to switch to synthetic if possible. Can I just drop the pan, change the filter and replace with synthetic thereby mixing the existing fluid with the new syn fluid or do I need to approach this a different way. We just recently got the car.. it was a winter driver for a "little old lady" snow bird who kept it in FLA at her condo. She did have a brother who took it out occasionally when she was in Michigan however.

Also, can someone explain the lack of dipstick? I don't want to use the dealer and am not sure if my mechanic has the necessary item to make sure fluid levels are good.

thanks
Old 09-04-2018, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
s320
buy a dipstick off ebay if you can use one.I always measure what I drain,as refilling mercedes trans are a pain.Yes I used mobil one first change then the second.Much better ATF as heat does not destroy it so easy.