Aftermarket Stereo Dead End

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 s500
Aftermarket Stereo Dead End

Hello,

I have a 2002 s500, which I purchased from the original owner. The Car was well maintained and had very low miles considering the fact that it is a 16 year old car!! I am absolutely in love with this car. EXCEPT THE HEAD UNIT. This model is clearly a year or two before Mercedes saw the writing on the wall in regards to bluetooth, touchscreen, interactive nav system, aux in port, smartphone integration etc.

Not knowing the ins and out of Mercedes, as this is my first one, I boldly went out and bought the latest and greatest Pioneer dbl. din CD/DVD/nav/bluetooth/carplay model, and thinking that I was truly ahead of the times, even ordered a beautiful woodgrain dash kit to install. I even purchased the cable from Amazon which allows you to get around the video not playing when the car is in motion. I was already imagining how the stereo would look and sound with a s500 surrounding it.

Then as I arrived to my install apointment I was told that I had a fiber optic car stereo system and that the only solution was a $900 fiber optic work around from Nav-Tv. Which sent me on a whirlwind of clicking around the internet trying to verify the terminal situation that I was in. After hours of researching I was stumped. I could not even find a Nav-TV solution for my year of s500. Honestly I would spend the money on the work around in order to have an up to date stereo with bluetooth and apple CarPlay. But there is not solution for a 2002 s500.Aside from having the entire electrical system rewired at the expense of having factory feature functionality compromised if not lost...........IS THERE A FUNCTIONAL ALTERNATIVE. Keep in mind that I don't want to have this set off a never ending plethora of errors in the diagnostic system. ANY INPUT WOULD BE VALUED AND RESPECTED. I am open to any viable solutions
Old 09-15-2018, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by s500newbie
Hello,

I have a 2002 s500, which I purchased from the original owner. The Car was well maintained and had very low miles considering the fact that it is a 16 year old car!! I am absolutely in love with this car. EXCEPT THE HEAD UNIT. This model is clearly a year or two before Mercedes saw the writing on the wall in regards to bluetooth, touchscreen, interactive nav system, aux in port, smartphone integration etc.

Not knowing the ins and out of Mercedes, as this is my first one, I boldly went out and bought the latest and greatest Pioneer dbl. din CD/DVD/nav/bluetooth/carplay model, and thinking that I was truly ahead of the times, even ordered a beautiful woodgrain dash kit to install. I even purchased the cable from Amazon which allows you to get around the video not playing when the car is in motion. I was already imagining how the stereo would look and sound with a s500 surrounding it.

Then as I arrived to my install apointment I was told that I had a fiber optic car stereo system and that the only solution was a $900 fiber optic work around from Nav-Tv. Which sent me on a whirlwind of clicking around the internet trying to verify the terminal situation that I was in. After hours of researching I was stumped. I could not even find a Nav-TV solution for my year of s500. Honestly I would spend the money on the work around in order to have an up to date stereo with bluetooth and apple CarPlay. But there is not solution for a 2002 s500.Aside from having the entire electrical system rewired at the expense of having factory feature functionality compromised if not lost...........IS THERE A FUNCTIONAL ALTERNATIVE. Keep in mind that I don't want to have this set off a never ending plethora of errors in the diagnostic system. ANY INPUT WOULD BE VALUED AND RESPECTED. I am open to any viable solutions
return the pioneer and get the Chinese android units that are plug and play . REad through this whole thread
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w22...yone-have.html