ashtray

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
ashtray

anyone by chance know how to remove the ash tray? I'm planning to hardwire it with a radar detector. I just finished hardwiring our ML, which wasn't bad at all. I also did my w202, same deal. I'm thinking the w220 may be a little challenge :p

any suggestions or know how? thanks, appreciated
Old 06-07-2004, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Two Torx T20, one per side (after you open the ashtray).

Did you look?

I am not sure which year you have, but I think that is for all 2000-2005. Could be wrong so I think you should look and double check!

-s-
Old 06-07-2004, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by scorchie
Two Torx T20, one per side (after you open the ashtray).

Did you look?

I am not sure which year you have, but I think that is for all 2000-2005. Could be wrong so I think you should look and double check!

-s-
thanks man! i just finished dinner and i'm gonna go try it in a few minutes.

i'll let you know how it goes
Old 06-07-2004, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
i failed miserably (sp?)

Ok, I found the two torx screws, took out the ashtray. found the wires with the connector in the back.

I also found the "trapezoid" in the windshield so that i could mount the radar in that location. I routed the cable along the top of the dash, in the crevices and down the side to under the passenger side dash. I still need to find an area where i can route the cable along underneath...

Found an opening along the tranny tunnel and stuck the power connector through there. I tapped into the brown wire, no go. I then tapped into the pinkish/white wire, no go. Last hope, the grey with a black stripe, no go again. I think I have a bad grounding spot. I looked for screws underneath the dash and found two...one hex and one a regular phillips screw. They both screwed into metal plates so I assumed it was part of the body. (this worked on the ML where screws were under the dash and screwed into metal plates).

so after spending an hour, I had no luck and was fustrated. I put everything back together and just bundled up the wire and left it hanging under the dash because I didn't want to pull out the wiring and then do it again.

any suggestions for a grounding point (thats where i think i'm having trouble because on the ML, I tapped into a red wire and that was the power source. On the S, there were three wires, brown, pinkish/whiteish, and a grey with black stripe wire. any clue?

waiting patiently, thanks for the help man and guys
Old 06-08-2004, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by GDawgC220
i failed miserably (sp?)

Ok, I found the two torx screws, took out the ashtray. found the wires with the connector in the back.

I also found the "trapezoid" in the windshield so that i could mount the radar in that location. I routed the cable along the top of the dash, in the crevices and down the side to under the passenger side dash. I still need to find an area where i can route the cable along underneath...

Found an opening along the tranny tunnel and stuck the power connector through there. I tapped into the brown wire, no go. I then tapped into the pinkish/white wire, no go. Last hope, the grey with a black stripe, no go again. I think I have a bad grounding spot. I looked for screws underneath the dash and found two...one hex and one a regular phillips screw. They both screwed into metal plates so I assumed it was part of the body. (this worked on the ML where screws were under the dash and screwed into metal plates).

so after spending an hour, I had no luck and was fustrated. I put everything back together and just bundled up the wire and left it hanging under the dash because I didn't want to pull out the wiring and then do it again.

any suggestions for a grounding point (thats where i think i'm having trouble because on the ML, I tapped into a red wire and that was the power source. On the S, there were three wires, brown, pinkish/whiteish, and a grey with black stripe wire. any clue?

waiting patiently, thanks for the help man and guys
Why don't you run BOTH wires down to the ash tray... then connect them to the lighter plug?

-s-
Old 06-08-2004, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by scorchie
Why don't you run BOTH wires down to the ash tray... then connect them to the lighter plug?

-s-
I will try that, but how would I get the grounding wire to stay there as there are no grounding screws accessible...

Can I tap into the ground wire? With the kit that was sent, the ground is a metal ring at the end where you put a screw thru that...

thanks for the help man.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by GDawgC220
I will try that, but how would I get the grounding wire to stay there as there are no grounding screws accessible...

Can I tap into the ground wire? With the kit that was sent, the ground is a metal ring at the end where you put a screw thru that...

thanks for the help man.
Cut off the ring on the ground... crimp on a male AND female spade connector. Do the same with the power supply. Then remove the connector going to the lighter... plug your wires on to the lighter, and then on to the power connector for the lighter. You get power from the lighter and still can use the lighter!

Make sure that your wire connecting the power connector is really short, or instead replace it with some wire that is at least 16 gauge.

-s-