W220 Android Head Unit questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W220 S600 TT 2003
W220 Android Head Unit questions

Hello I'm new here;

I have a W220 S600 TT and am looking to change the android head unit.

I've had a look at the other posts on here via the search and there are posts about Erisin and other brands, but they don't answer my dumb question!.

I found this one and from a specs perspective this has the fastest processor, so the one I want.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8Headunit...4-F:rk:11:pf:0

I have a W220 with what I work out to be a comand 2.5 (wide screen, navigation CD slot) - there are two versions of command on this year,
the later one having some small buttons either side of the screen to select the screen content. Mine does not have that - hence the earlier.

I have the bose sound system and understand that this was the last of the cars to use the D2B optical bus, before the Comand 2.5NTG1 came out (which used the MOST bus).

My question is simple.

Are the physical wires that go to the speakers optical cables or speaker wire ? So from the head unit to amp, is that fibre ? I assume so, then the amp outputs via copper cable
to drive the speaker cones. Now I also read that the bose speakers are some weird 2 ohm resistance, and this head unit I want to fit puts out at standard 4 ohm, what is that
going to sound like, is that bad (not a speaker expert).

Has anyone else *recently* fitted an android unit (2017/2018) as the older units are quad core and frankly suck.

My plan is to have a professional fit the android unit, run the speaker cables to the amp at the back, remove the amp and replace it with something newer and
then use the existing copper cables to the speakers and the bose speakers with the new amp.

If anyone could chime in on this I would appreciate it!

The following users liked this post:
ghrer (10-12-2019)
Old 10-16-2018, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w22...yone-have.html
Old 04-17-2019, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 Mercedes Benz S430

Originally Posted by I_must_be_nuts
Hello I'm new here;

I have a W220 S600 TT and am looking to change the android head unit.

I've had a look at the other posts on here via the search and there are posts about Erisin and other brands, but they don't answer my dumb question!.

I found this one and from a specs perspective this has the fastest processor, so the one I want.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8Headunit...4-F:rk:11:pf:0

I have a W220 with what I work out to be a comand 2.5 (wide screen, navigation CD slot) - there are two versions of command on this year,
the later one having some small buttons either side of the screen to select the screen content. Mine does not have that - hence the earlier.

I have the bose sound system and understand that this was the last of the cars to use the D2B optical bus, before the Comand 2.5NTG1 came out (which used the MOST bus).

My question is simple.

Are the physical wires that go to the speakers optical cables or speaker wire ? So from the head unit to amp, is that fibre ? I assume so, then the amp outputs via copper cable
to drive the speaker cones. Now I also read that the bose speakers are some weird 2 ohm resistance, and this head unit I want to fit puts out at standard 4 ohm, what is that
going to sound like, is that bad (not a speaker expert).

Has anyone else *recently* fitted an android unit (2017/2018) as the older units are quad core and frankly suck.

My plan is to have a professional fit the android unit, run the speaker cables to the amp at the back, remove the amp and replace it with something newer and
then use the existing copper cables to the speakers and the bose speakers with the new amp.

If anyone could chime in on this I would appreciate it!
Any updates???