S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

W220 2006 S500 Scraping sound from driveline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes S500 4-Matic
W220 2006 S500 Scraping sound from driveline

Hello MB experts. I'm looking for some advice for my W220 2006 S500 4-Matic. 125k miles.
A week ago I heard a faint scraping noise coming from the front of the car. It sounded a bit like a wire had gotten itself wrapped around one of the short axles.
As the week progressed the sound became more noticeable. Here are a few fun facts:
Sound doesn't happen or change while braking.
Sound doesn't change if HVAC is on or off.
Sound doesn't change with acceleration in park or neutral.
I've heard the sound a bit more when turning, but not consistently.
I can hear the sound when decelerating but not when accelerating.
When I shift from park to drive, there is a slight clunk now that didn't exist before.
When I hear the sound, it seems to be at a speed/frequency that is something between the speed of the engine and speed of the wheels, but closer to the speed of the wheels.

I had a Renault Alliance many years ago that went through CV joints like crazy. The sound resembles the noise I used to hear when those joints were going out.

I'm guessing there are common things that fail in the driveline of this car, but this is my first AWD car and first Mercedes and so I don't have much experience with it.

I'm not a mechanic but have a lot of experience working on cars. In the past 2 years I've replaced the air struts, HVAC compressor, power steering pump, serpentine belt, blower motor resistor and a few other things. This car breaks down a LOT!

Thank you for any help.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes S500 4-Matic
Problem solved

Turned out to be the front universal joint on the front driveshaft. New driveshaft solved problem.