S350 W220 US Petrol Engine Fan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S350 W220 Petrol US
S350 W220 US Petrol Engine Fan

Hi,

I have joined the team, I got a low miles 2006 S350 which is the 3.7L V6 petrol engine in the US. 86k miles, superbly solid on the road, adequate power but not breathtaking as you might expect.

Strangely the previous owner has harvested some of the relays, so the wipers aren't working and the two yellow relays for on/off and speed are awol. I have a few relays on order to resolve that. The radio has poor reception and I know there is an antenna amplifier. I have checked the fuse and that's no cure, but I'll work out if there is a relay on that and replace it as needed.

The issue I want to correct asap is that the engine fan seems not to engage. When I am moving on the road, the engine temp hovers at 80 degrees. When I get caught in traffic it starts its merry way to 100 degrees, at which point I turn off the engine. In fact I generally time the trip so I don't need to stop much. Anyway, I have the online resource for W220s and I see that for the S430 and S500 there is a large relay, and it is not shown in the online resources so I guess it is not located in the fuse boxes. But after a few searches I have found this:

https://www.carid.com/standard/inter...n-ry-1190.html

I guess this is the beast I need. But what I don't have is a location to plug it. I do note that this is used on the S430 and S500 too, but I don't see it listed in the resource I am using:

https://www.carid.com/standard/inter...n-ry-1190.html

Sorry to come on board asking for help. After I get this car running as I like it, I hope to try and use it for a supercharging experiment. So something of interest may come of this. Mind you I am already thinking, if I want to supercharge an S350, why not get an S500 and do that instead. We'll see, it will be one or the other. :-)

Thanks for any assistance.

Declan