S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2003 s430 engine knock noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 s430 engine knock noise

bergfurher , Today 04:30 PM
I have a problem I cannot figure out with my 2003 s430, 145,000 miles well taken care of, I am a porsche mechanic with 30 years experience. It's a knock, on the passenger side only, at the cylinder head where the valve covers meets. Only there. The knock is low pitch, not a higher pitch like a lifter, and again, it's at the head. The noise speed is slow, at idle it's two knocks per second. Does not matter if its hot, cold, warm same sound and it's been there for 4 plus years, only recently it seems a bit louder now. Oil changes, different weights make no difference to the sound. It's right where the chain ramp and tensioner are roughly, I replaced the tensioner, and no change. It's not a lifter sound, but lower pitched. It's a knock for sure, several have said it sounds like a diesel. Experience with older Porsches and chain slap tells me it's not the chain, but not with this as a lower pitched sound, but maybe MB makes these sounds. Seems odd there's a problem with the chain with this mileage. I have seem many you tube videos with cars having the same sound, but no replys or comments as to what it is. If it was the chain, why the slow knock noise, if not I have no clue what this is. Oddly, I have a 2002 clk320 that makes the exact same noise in the exact same noise, with 120,000 miles on it. Help. I also posted this in the clk forum.
Edit
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
same exact problem on my 03 Mercedes s430

Originally Posted by bergfurher
bergfurher , Today 04:30 PM
I have a problem I cannot figure out with my 2003 s430, 145,000 miles well taken care of, I am a porsche mechanic with 30 years experience. It's a knock, on the passenger side only, at the cylinder head where the valve covers meets. Only there. The knock is low pitch, not a higher pitch like a lifter, and again, it's at the head. The noise speed is slow, at idle it's two knocks per second. Does not matter if its hot, cold, warm same sound and it's been there for 4 plus years, only recently it seems a bit louder now. Oil changes, different weights make no difference to the sound. It's right where the chain ramp and tensioner are roughly, I replaced the tensioner, and no change. It's not a lifter sound, but lower pitched. It's a knock for sure, several have said it sounds like a diesel. Experience with older Porsches and chain slap tells me it's not the chain, but not with this as a lower pitched sound, but maybe MB makes these sounds. Seems odd there's a problem with the chain with this mileage. I have seem many you tube videos with cars having the same sound, but no replys or comments as to what it is. If it was the chain, why the slow knock noise, if not I have no clue what this is. Oddly, I have a 2002 clk320 that makes the exact same noise in the exact same noise, with 120,000 miles on it. Help. I also posted this in the clk forum.
Edit
have you figured it out ? I have the same exact problem on mine and I’m not sure what needs to be fixed, any help will be appreciated