S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Airmatic pump question and issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 08:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
W220 S320 99, W212 E350 2014
Airmatic pump question and issue

Hi, I know this issue mentioned several time but I wish to explain what happen with me.

From several days I notice that the pump may rise the car smoothly and sometimes didn't rase it or need couple engagement to raise it so when I turn on the switch the pump turned and the notification at the cluster shown but after a 2 minute the pump turned off while the car didn't raise to its level and the notification still at cluster, later on may the pump function normally. I have searched a lot, the issue maybe the relay, fuse or something block between pump and vale or valve issue.
I check the relay and it is tyco model nor hella neither simens. I checked the fuse(32 slot) it is look like not bad but I have purchased used Simens relay and new fuse, on the way when I was returning back to home (before replacing the parts) I engaged the pump and everything was fine but when I was in the parking the issue toggles again. I Parked the car and replace the relay after push raise button the issue still the same but after replacing the fuse and raise again the car, the car raised up in 1 minute 12 second after that the pump turned off and notofication at display disappeared after test it several times in the parking everything is fine but does that mean the issue in the fuse and does the fues make this issue? Or may I face the issue again and what could be the issue?
Old 04-14-2019, 09:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'06 W220 S600, '92 190e
I'd start by scanning for fault codes first to possibly steer you in the right direction. Could be something simple such as a sensor acting up.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
There are several possibilities...
- There appears to be a leak in the system - otherwise, the car would not be lowering. This means that the compressor is working much harder and longer than usual, greatly increasing the wear on the compressor.
- The wear on the compressor has reduced its output, so it has to work even longer to bring the car back to its normal ride height. This increases the wear.
- The Airmatic control computer limits the run time on the compressor, so as to reduce the chance of burning it out. The increases the time needed to bring the car to its normal ride height.

In most cases, the most economical repair is to rebuild the compressor. There is a single piston, with a single piston ring, made of a special plastic material. You can buy a kit online fairly cheaply that includes the piston ring, seals, etc. Removing and rebuilding the compressor is within the abilities of a competent do-it-yourself owner. The Wabco compressor is used on many different vehicles, not just Mercedes, and the kits are available worldwide from numerous vendors. There are numerous videos online, showing how to rebuild the compressor.
Amazon Amazon

Or, you might find a functional used compressor in a wrecking yard or online. Or, you can buy a new compressor. Or, you can go to a Mercedes dealer and get the problems fixed for about half the value of your car.

There are numerous threads on this forum and the Benzworld forums concerning the problem. There are a lot of things that you should do while you are doing the compressor repair, such as checking the system's air inlet filter hose, the dessicant, etc.

Sooner or later, you will need to repair the leak.

Search and reading are your friends...
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by wallyp
There are several possibilities...
- There appears to be a leak in the system - otherwise, the car would not be lowering. This means that the compressor is working much harder and longer than usual, greatly increasing the wear on the compressor.
- The wear on the compressor has reduced its output, so it has to work even longer to bring the car back to its normal ride height. This increases the wear.
- The Airmatic control computer limits the run time on the compressor, so as to reduce the chance of burning it out. The increases the time needed to bring the car to its normal ride height.

In most cases, the most economical repair is to rebuild the compressor. There is a single piston, with a single piston ring, made of a special plastic material. You can buy a kit online fairly cheaply that includes the piston ring, seals, etc. Removing and rebuilding the compressor is within the abilities of a competent do-it-yourself owner. The Wabco compressor is used on many different vehicles, not just Mercedes, and the kits are available worldwide from numerous vendors. There are numerous videos online, showing how to rebuild the compressor.
https://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-SUSP.../dp/B00U53OC60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMfw2Sbjtbs

Or, you might find a functional used compressor in a wrecking yard or online. Or, you can buy a new compressor. Or, you can go to a Mercedes dealer and get the problems fixed for about half the value of your car.

There are numerous threads on this forum and the Benzworld forums concerning the problem. There are a lot of things that you should do while you are doing the compressor repair, such as checking the system's air inlet filter hose, the dessicant, etc.

Sooner or later, you will need to repair the leak.

Search and reading are your friends...
Thanks a lot for you response, but why there is a leak, as I know that this car all the time during driving is checking the level and engage the pump or free some air related to ground speed or that is not correct else does fuse make this weeknea in pump or the pump is in there final days.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 S500 2007 GL450
"Thanks a lot for you response, but why there is a leak"

Because you told us, "From several days I notice that the pump may rise the car smoothly and sometimes didn't rase it or need couple engagement to raise it so when I turn on the switch the pump turned and the notification at the cluster shown but after a 2 minute the pump turned off while the car didn't raise to its level..."

If there was not a leak, the car would not be lowered.

No, the fuse or the relay is not likely to be the cause of your problem.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:21 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by wallyp
"Thanks a lot for you response, but why there is a leak"

Because you told us, "From several days I notice that the pump may rise the car smoothly and sometimes didn't rase it or need couple engagement to raise it so when I turn on the switch the pump turned and the notification at the cluster shown but after a 2 minute the pump turned off while the car didn't raise to its level..."

If there was not a leak, the car would not be lowered.

No, the fuse or the relay is not likely to be the cause of your problem.
I got it but let me describe something happens, As I think that the car always scan the height level and correct it, so you mean that the car level will not change at all in any condition until we press the button to get lower, to raise it up , speed exceeded 70MPH or weight in the car increased, if it is that so during any driving else the car level must be the same even in hill/mountain condition and coast highways. what about hearing psssss sound after locking/unlocking the car is that normal. My car during parking all the night the level still under OEM conditions with car 180k miles. One issue happen always with me that the pipe line between the Valve Block and reservoir was broken so the old owner of the car fixed it by cutting the line and used junction to connect them, this junction always get loose in driving (1 ti2 times in month) and I fixed it in the same day, does this line may leak even with junction connected properly.can I test the pressure between Valve block/Reservoir with MB limits?
Old 04-15-2019, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 S500 2007 GL450
https://w220.ee/Airmatic
The following users liked this post:
redaotrosh (04-15-2019)