Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W220, 320, CDI, 2003
Arrow Challenge to start the motor – W220, S320CDI, Dec. 2002

Dear All,

In the moment when I try to start the car, this happens:

I put the key in key hole, wait until the seat and steering wheel goes in position.

Then I twist the key to the ignition, then the seat and steering wheel goes a little bit up/down and backward/forward and lights outside and inside goes on/off.

Then I try to twist the key to start position and nothing happens.

Then I take the key out and do the procedure again.

Sometimes when the car is totally cold, I have to do this procedure about 9 times, before the car starts. It seems to when the strange things with the seats and steering wheel stops and the lights, I’m near to get started, sometimes not.

When the motor starts, I do not feel any strange problems and the car always stands with the maintains battery charger on.

Does anybody know what the challenge could be?

Greetings from Denmark, Thank you very much.

Last edited by DK14; 11-25-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 488 Likes on 432 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by DK14
Dear All,

In the moment when I try to start the car, this happens:

I put the key in key hole, wait until the seat and steering wheel goes in position.

Then I twist the key to the ignition, then the seat and steering wheel goes a little bit up/down and backward/forward and lights outside and inside goes on/off.

Then I try to twist the key to start position and nothing happens.

Then I take the key out and do the procedure again.

Sometimes when the car is totally cold, I have to do this procedure about 9 times, before the car starts. It seems to when the strange things with the seats and steering wheel stops and the lights, I’m near to get started, sometimes not.

When the motor starts, I do not feel any strange problems and the car always stands with the maintains battery charger on.

Does anybody know what the challenge could be?

Greetings from Denmark, Thank you very much.
it’s your eis ignition switch . As they get old the solder contacts break in the cold . Trying several times warms it up enough for the broken solder to make contact

If you know a skilled electrician who can re solder the contacts that will fix it , or you must buy a new eis and dealer must program it to the car , or else buy a matched 4 piece used set of key eis shifter and ecu as they are coded to work together and if using used parts all 4 must be swapped from same car
Old 11-26-2019, 06:31 AM

W220, 320, CDI, 2003
Originally Posted by tusabes
it’s your eis ignition switch . As they get old the solder contacts break in the cold . Trying several times warms it up enough for the broken solder to make contact

If you know a skilled electrician who can re solder the contacts that will fix it , or you must buy a new eis and dealer must program it to the car , or else buy a matched 4 piece used set of key eis shifter and ecu as they are coded to work together and if using used parts all 4 must be swapped from same car
Thank you very much for your help.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:16 AM

W220, 320, CDI, 2003
Originally Posted by tusabes

That was totally correct. Thank you very much.

But expensive.