PSE Pump?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 S500 AMG package, 2023 GLE 450, AMG package
Angry PSE Pump?

Hi everyone:
Car: 2006 S500 Base. For the past several months. I noticed that my PSE pump makes clicking noise in the trunk for first 10-15 minutes when you drive the car. After this time, there is no more clicking (does it means no more leak??). Anyway, I am assuming that there is a small leak somewhere in the system but I need help to guide me to the right place. So far, my observation:
a) All 4 doors soft close operate normal
b) trunk soft close operates normal
c) Abnormal: I notice that both driver & front passenger lumbar supports do not hold pressure... they both slowly delated then inflated every once in a while driving. Since both sides did the same thing, i think both lumbar pouch are okay?
So the questions: Is my PSE on the way out and need replacement OR there is a leak somewhere that I don't know? For a replacement, what part # should I look for as 220 800 xx xx for 2006 cars? Sorry, I haven't open & look at my unit in the trunk yet so I don't know. Unless I missed it, I searched w220 forums and didn't see any members with my specific problem.
Thanks and appreciate any helps!
tnn
Old 12-30-2019, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 488 Likes on 432 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by tn52
Hi everyone:
Car: 2006 S500 Base. For the past several months. I noticed that my PSE pump makes clicking noise in the trunk for first 10-15 minutes when you drive the car. After this time, there is no more clicking (does it means no more leak??). Anyway, I am assuming that there is a small leak somewhere in the system but I need help to guide me to the right place. So far, my observation:
a) All 4 doors soft close operate normal
b) trunk soft close operates normal
c) Abnormal: I notice that both driver & front passenger lumbar supports do not hold pressure... they both slowly delated then inflated every once in a while driving. Since both sides did the same thing, i think both lumbar pouch are okay?
So the questions: Is my PSE on the way out and need replacement OR there is a leak somewhere that I don't know? For a replacement, what part # should I look for as 220 800 xx xx for 2006 cars? Sorry, I haven't open & look at my unit in the trunk yet so I don't know. Unless I missed it, I searched w220 forums and didn't see any members with my specific problem.
Thanks and appreciate any helps!
tnn
are you sure you’re seats aren’t set to pulse massage? That will cause the inflation and deflation. A clicking does not indicate a leak
Old 12-30-2019, 03:55 PM

Hi tusabes:
I know what you are talking but my car does not have the pulse massage option/feature. Both front seats just have a simple thumbwheel dial to set the lumbar support hardness. The PSE pump clicking/clunking noise is quite loud. I am sure that its abnormal.
Thanks.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:28 PM

Hi everyone: i found that my PSE pump makes clicking/clunking noise because there is a small leak somewhere, and that it stops after ~15 min of driving. I suspect the leak from the line that goes to the trunk self closure (since the trunk is no longer used while driving, the vacuum then settles??). In addition, my trunk just slam shut in one shot instead of going down then gently "sucked close". Could someone please give me a diagram to identify/label all the lines that come in/out from the PSE pump? I searched but could not fond this information anywhere. I plan on doing a smoke test on a couple of lines. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2020, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
" In addition, my trunk just slam shut in one shot instead of going down then gently "sucked close".
If you mean that your trunk goes from fully open to fully closed quickly and powerfully, are you saying that you close the trunk lid by pushing the button on the bottom edge of the lid? If so, that closure has nothing to do with the "soft-close" operation. Soft-close moves the trunk lid only a fraction of an inch. Full closure is done by a hydraulic pump mounted behind the battery, not the PSE (Pneumatic Service Equipment) pump, which is mounted in the forward left corner, behind the trunk liner.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:06 AM

Yes, I used the button on the bottom of the trunk lid so it's normal operation? i somehow recall that the trunk closing was not this strong before i got issues with the PSE...
Old 01-10-2020, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
The trunk on my S500 closes quickly and firmly, with no hesitation for soft-close.