S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

SOFT CLOSE DOORS MAINTENANCE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 02:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
87 420sel, 91 560sec, 02 S55 AMG, 09 A4 3.2, 14 Outback, 12 Focus SE
SOFT CLOSE DOORS MAINTENANCE

How do you guys get around maintaining your soft close functionality? Especially in the winter time?
I've heard using silicone lubricant for the rubber seals could help but from what i see in the doors, the rubber seal comes into contact with cloth.
Not sure where I should be applying the lubricant? I purchased this and I'm afraid to use it in the wrong place and further screw up the soft close functionality - https://www.wd40.com/products/silicone-lubricant/

I find it to be agonizing to dig the car out from the snow and open the door and hear the cracking and popping noises that the door makes when trying to open and close due to the freezing temps and water / moisture being frozen in the seals

Yesterday after digging the car out from the snow, the driver door would not shut completely, I poured hot water around the exterior of the door to get it to open up which it did with ease like it would on a hot day
But I guess that back fired once that water froze up again

the soft close function would try to suck the door in but would fail and release it leaving it semi-open
i tried parking the car in a warm place for 15-20 mins to let the car "thaw" but that didnt work either
i saw no ice build up and had to slam the door shut which i'm not sure is the right thing to do

When you shut the door on these cars like you would on a normal car, does that cancel the soft-close function or does the car still auto-suck the door in?
I would rather not use soft-close in winter if there's a way to just close the door like you would on a normal car

Hoping you guys can help as this is my first mercedes with soft-close. All the doors and trunk soft-close perfectly and I want to preserve their functionality.
Is there any maintenance I can do to ensure they work smoothly?
Old 02-29-2020, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
If you close the door firmly enough, the soft-close does not operate. This does no damage.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
87 420sel, 91 560sec, 02 S55 AMG, 09 A4 3.2, 14 Outback, 12 Focus SE
Originally Posted by wallyp
If you close the door firmly enough, the soft-close does not operate. This does no damage.
thanks ill do this from now on