Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
S class 320 CDi
Problems!!!

Hi, I am after some advice/help.
I have a s class 320 SE cdi.. only had it a few weeks, and I have a few small problems.
firstly, when I first start the car there are no ancillarys, lights wipers indicators heater, climate control....
if after a few minutes I switch off then back on again, everything works fine!!!
can anyone help please???
Old 03-15-2020, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 405 Likes on 349 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Quite a few possibilities...

One is low voltage. The W220 is pretty picky about having clean, high voltage, which starts with having a proper-sized gel-cell battery in very good condition. It is possible that your battery is old, or small, or just not fully charged, so when you start the engine, the voltage is slightly low. After a few minutes of charging, the voltage might be just enough higher to get things going. Remember that this is an "internet guess", based upon very little evidence. It would be interesting to see what happens if you can put a charger on the battery for several hours.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by wallyp
Quite a few possibilities...

One is low voltage. The W220 is pretty picky about having clean, high voltage, which starts with having a proper-sized gel-cell battery in very good condition. It is possible that your battery is old, or small, or just not fully charged, so when you start the engine, the voltage is slightly low. After a few minutes of charging, the voltage might be just enough higher to get things going. Remember that this is an "internet guess", based upon very little evidence. It would be interesting to see what happens if you can put a charger on the battery for several hours.
I agree , you either have a weak battery , or a good battery but a battery drain that is drawing the voltage down until you drive it and charge it up
Old 03-16-2020, 07:11 AM

S class 320 CDi
Ok, new battery on order.
is there any difficulties in fitting a new one, or is it just one off one on and away you go???
Old 03-16-2020, 07:14 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
W221 S500 2010
Just strong arms...
The following users liked this post:
Chubbyfella (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 405 Likes on 349 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
WYAIT (While You Are In There), clean both sides of every battery cable connection, making certain that every connecting surface is clean and bright, and that all connections are firm. As always, disconnect the negative/ground/earth terminal firs, and reconnect it last.

If you got the correct battery, it will be much heavier than you might expect. If you are not pretty strong, you might hunt a very strong person to help you with the change - it would be all too easy to hurt yourself or to damage the car.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:05 AM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
WAIT!! WAIT!!!!! Remember that after disconnecting the battery power for any reason, ALL the 'systems'must be re-initiated so they 'know' the operating limits. First is to turn the steering wheel from Stop to Stop. holding it for a couple of seconds, then the same process for the adjustable steering column------. You have to do them all. because some 'systems' depend on others for their information. An alternative is to attach a'keeper battery' (a portable Li-Ion emergency jumper battery) either to a cigarette lighter or the 'jumper spot' under the aluminum paned under the front passenger carpet. IMHO that is far easier than spending half an hour restoring all the 'memories' in the entire car (sunroof, each window, each seat position and feature that is adjustable, climate control settings, radio settings, etc.,etc.,,
Old 03-16-2020, 12:19 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
W221 S500 2010
Originally Posted by Kebowers47
WAIT!! WAIT!!!!! Remember that after disconnecting the battery power for any reason, ALL the 'systems'must be re-initiated so they 'know' the operating limits. First is to turn the steering wheel from Stop to Stop. holding it for a couple of seconds, then the same process for the adjustable steering column------. You have to do them all. because some 'systems' depend on others for their information. An alternative is to attach a'keeper battery' (a portable Li-Ion emergency jumper battery) either to a cigarette lighter or the 'jumper spot' under the aluminum paned under the front passenger carpet. IMHO that is far easier than spending half an hour restoring all the 'memories' in the entire car (sunroof, each window, each seat position and feature that is adjustable, climate control settings, radio settings, etc.,etc.,,
I must say that I disconnected the battery several times during a “bad electrical luck” spell and settings never went away. Not a single time.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:06 PM

S class 320 CDi
ok, well I do have a jumper battery so I will attach that just in case... thanks for the information 😍
Old 03-16-2020, 01:16 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2008 R320 CDI 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Chubbyfella
Ok, new battery on order.
is there any difficulties in fitting a new one, or is it just one off one on and away you go???
FWIW... as I posted this on another thread.

FWIW......."How I solved my battery issue and future battery issues.

I purchased an Odyssey battery, yes they cost more than a MB original factory battery.

Purchased from a supplier that offers "Lifetime Exchange Warranty"

This is the last battery purchase required. Exchange for a new one when not good, the only cost will be returning the original purchased battery.

I have no financial interest in Odyssey or the supplier. Am only a paying customer who will purchase again.

Joseph~"