S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

s500 m13.960 wiring harness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w123 tdt
Question s500 m113.960 wiring harness

does anyone have a wiring diagram for the w220 s500?
or know if it is possible to buy or make a racecar style harness from the ecu to the throttle, start button, temp, etc ?

Last edited by m113.960; 06-25-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:31 PM

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
Mercedes does have a workshop manual with all the wiring diagrams you CAN purchase.Wiring diagrams are also on-line for most models. We may be better able to assist if you tell us what you are trying to do. ANY kind of wiring harness CAN be built. Your VIN Build Sheet is the first place to start (free for asking MBUSA Customer Service) Almost every MBZ build is different !!! with often many deviations from 'standard.' Almost every Country version is different as is every model year and model. The wiring harnesses ARE THE MOST EXPENSIVE PART of the vehicle.
GM started a drastic simplification program two decades ago when the Cadillac Division in a study found the Main Wiring Harness took as much labor as the rest of the car combined!! GM modernized to digital communications, fiber optic cables, 'modules' spread around to switch power to things. They estimated WEIGHT SAVINGS of over 200# in the typical Cadillac. Then they learned from Chrysler to standardize modules and keep the 'customization for purpose' in the 'programming'. Went from hundreds of different part number and stocking of relays etc, to just a few SKU's to make, and stock with simple computer code automatically 'flashing the PROM memory in the standard modules when and as needed. OBD-II was a huge advance allowing everything to be accessed electronically, reprogrammed, updated, tested from a single connector. GM was decades ahead of all the others in switching to electronic management because the DELCO Division realized when Catalytic Emissions Control as going to be required, that computer control of the fuel:air ratio had to be precisely controlled, and 'mechanical' control simply could not be manufactured to maintain those requirements for the required 50,000 miles without periodic maintenance. GM approached the emissions control challenge similar to the NASA Apollo program
Old 06-25-2020, 04:03 PM

001 s600, 94 sl600
I MEANT to say GM began over 5 decades (55 years ago) in 1965 when it became obvious Emission Control would require 'fast' closed loop combustion control because each combustion event HAD to be exactly controlled to meet the 99% emissions reduction targets. The fundamental basic science involved is at least as magical as all the NASA Apollo program work. The first breakthrough was AC Delco, (working collaboratively with BOSCH) inventing a cheap combustion knock sensor and then inventing the fast responding exhaust gas oxygen sensor. Just think, that sensor in each cylinder bank, has to DETECT and REPORT THE RESULT of the residual oxygen in the exhaust in less than 0.015 seconds at maximum engine speed. Those made 'closed loop combustion control' of every combustion pulse possible--if the 'computer processor could handle the work. The result was more computing power and speed far more advanced than that NASA used in the APOLLO missions to the Moon !!!!! In my 1994 SL-600 V-12, the ignition timing for EVERY combustion cycle of EVERY cylinder is adjusted to keep it at 'trace knock' operation. If the last time there was no trace knock--advance the next ignition pulse 2 degrees. Repeat if there was still no trace knock. If there WAS even slightly more than trace knock, retard the ignition 4 degrees. Keep repeating this forever, 600 times a second,up to 36000 times a minute, every 1.5 milliseconds--6 times for every crankshaft revolution. A misfire is detected by monitoring the "angular acceleration of the flywheel" from each combustion pulse.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w123 tdt
i could not find any diagrams online. do you know which site i can purchase them from?.
i'm planning on putting the engine into a speed boat, and trying to make it run with just the nessesary parts like, throttle, colant temp, and oil pressure.
i know it's kind of stupid not to just throw a chevy v8 in it but i already have the engine with engine harness and ecu so i though i'l give it a try. and i'm also a mercedes guy so i would ofcourse prefer a mb powerd boat
Old 06-26-2020, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
That would be a fun project!

First problem is that there are four "theft relevant" units in the W220: EIS, ECU, Shifter, and the key. All four must be programmed to the same VIN, and all four must be present and functional. It might be simpler to use an aftermarket ECU...
The following users liked this post:
DK14 (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 09:32 PM

001 s600, 94 sl600
Trying to adapt a MBZ engine to power boat operation is of absolutely ZERO interest to me. There are already well developed 'packages' for multiple engine blocks that you will never be able to match. Powerboat engine development is very exacting and expensive. The development is highly specialized for the several ;applications' and expectations. Good luck if you continue to think it will be fun and achievable. None of those sectors of power boating are in any way comparable to luxury sedan requirements. "Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." CALVIN COOLIDGE