S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Car Suddenly Lost power going up a hill.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 02:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
s500 2006
w220 s500 Jerks Hard when acceleration or on incline

Just thought I'd share what I found.

My car would cut power and jerk violently when I accelerated HARD. i searched the web and thought it may be some electrical problem like the MAF or something. I learned to live with it, and just not accelerate so hard. I mean, I really had to floor it for the engine to seemingly cut out. Then today out of while driving about 10 miles an hour up a hill\, the car started to cut out violently. The car would go, then cut power. While the power was cut, the rpm would surge. It was truly scary. This happened with my family in the car, while traveling up a hill slowly. I pulled over, turned off the car, and restarted it. The incline of the hill was pretty steep, so I made sure my foot was covering the brakes when I pulled over. I started the car, and tried to put it into D. I noticed that the light on the dash flickered D, N, then D. Then i figured out that it was because the shift lever would teeter between D and N. so I pulled the level and held it back with my hands and the car drove normally.

Conclusion. I need to adjust the shift linkage under the car. There's a linkage under the car, on top of the drive shaft that link the shifter to the tranny. Under load, the engine/tranny mounts must flex enough to pop the car out of D and touch N to cut the power. How scary. My motor mounts and trans mount are Lemforder and less than a year old. Does anyone know of urethane mounts for the tranny?

I"m thining the steep hlll pushed the motor back just enough for the linkage to push the shifter to N. That must be what was happening when I accelerate hard. The engine bucks and the tranny is shifted out of gear.

Just thought I'd share. the shift linkage is often overlooked as a cause of problems.

Last edited by mrkevinhoang; 07-27-2020 at 02:11 AM. Reason: better title
The following 2 users liked this post by mrkevinhoang:
2sl0w (08-03-2020), biker349 (07-04-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 02:16 AM

s500 2006
update. I adjusted the rod. Thought it fixed the problem, but it happened again when I was parked on an incline in SF and tried to leave my parking space. I had to pull the shifter towards the rear of the car to stop the shifter rod from pushing the shift lever into N. While In Drive and cruising, I stick my pinky between the shift gate and shift lever, and there is movement when I acclerate and decelerate. I'm still thinking I need stiffer transmount to stop the movement. I searched the web and apparently nobody else is having this issue. There's one company that makes urethan mounts for the tranny and they never heard of such problem either.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by mrkevinhoang
update. I adjusted the rod. Thought it fixed the problem, but it happened again when I was parked on an incline in SF and tried to leave my parking space. I had to pull the shifter towards the rear of the car to stop the shifter rod from pushing the shift lever into N. While In Drive and cruising, I stick my pinky between the shift gate and shift lever, and there is movement when I acclerate and decelerate. I'm still thinking I need stiffer transmount to stop the movement. I searched the web and apparently nobody else is having this issue. There's one company that makes urethan mounts for the tranny and they never heard of such problem either.
i have a cl600 that jerks only at high rpm hard acceleration , I wonder if it’s the same issue . I’m near sf on the peninsula if you would like to meet up and compare cars
Old 07-27-2020, 02:59 AM

s500 2006
Originally Posted by tusabes
i have a cl600 that jerks only at high rpm hard acceleration , I wonder if it’s the same issue . I’m near sf on the peninsula if you would like to meet up and compare cars
Im from San Jose. I hardly come up to SF. I like my open roads in SJ . My mounts are about a year old. its possible that it has already gone bad.
Does your shifter have any movement when you accerate or brake? you can put your fingers on the base of the shift lever during accelration or braking to see if there is movement.

I'm gonna go ahead and order the mounts from create-steel to see if this fixes my issue.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (07-27-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 08:53 PM

s500 2006
Found the problem

I’m impressed with the build quality. First off, the problem with my car shifting out of drive was because the tranny mounts We’re actually loose. Both the bolts installed were backed out. This caused the forward back motion of the tranny that pushed the shift rod to change my gear under load.
I tightened the bolt and went for a drive. There was still some movement in the shifter when I accelerated. I put the car back in the air and installed the creative steel mounts. The movement of the shift lever decreased by about 80%. There’s a little movement, but I don’t believe this will be enough to shift my gears! I’ll go for some hard pulls to see if it pops out of gear. Thanks @creativesteel for shipping the mounts so fast. I love that it’s made in USA.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:38 PM

s500 2006
update, upon closer inspection, the stock bushing was torn. Ill be reaching out to fcp to see what they can do.