S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S430 cranks but doesn't start, intermittent.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 Wagon and 2006 SLK55
S430 cranks but doesn't start, intermittent.

It started with CAM shaft sensor fault code. Changed CAM shaft sensor.

Then, it would at times crank but not start, so changed the Crankshaft sensor. That didn't solve the problem. It's important to note that this is intermittent, and it happened when the car was cold in the morning, as well as when the car was parked after short drives as well as after long drives. Just no predicting when it would happen. More importantly, that car doesn't misfire, lose power or turn off by itself.

So next I changed the fuel filter. Problems persists. I've also scanned the car and no faults come up.

I put back the old CAM shaft sensor, and it threw the fault immediately as well as continued with the intermittent start issues, so I put the new senors back on.

I put in a new battery, plugs/coils and cleaned the maf within the past six months.

I just don't know what I should try next, any ideas please?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2020, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 488 Likes on 432 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by OrmondStar
It started with CAM shaft sensor fault code. Changed CAM shaft sensor.

Then, it would at times crank but not start, so changed the Crankshaft sensor. That didn't solve the problem. It's important to note that this is intermittent, and it happened when the car was cold in the morning, as well as when the car was parked after short drives as well as after long drives. Just no predicting when it would happen. More importantly, that car doesn't misfire, lose power or turn off by itself.

So next I changed the fuel filter. Problems persists. I've also scanned the car and no faults come up.

I put back the old CAM shaft sensor, and it threw the fault immediately as well as continued with the intermittent start issues, so I put the new senors back on.

I put in a new battery, plugs/coils and cleaned the maf within the past six months.

I just don't know what I should try next, any ideas please?

Thanks
probably the ignition switch where you insert the key . Get a matched set of key, ignition switch ecu and shifter from a donor car. All 4 parts must be from the same donor car as they are coded to only work together , you can’t just swap one part
Old 07-12-2020, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes
probably the ignition switch where you insert the key . Get a matched set of key, ignition switch ecu and shifter from a donor car. All 4 parts must be from the same donor car as they are coded to only work together , you can’t just swap one part
Oh, I think that's way more work than I'd like to tackle with this car LOL

Bottom line, this is a $3-4k car, so spending anything over a thousand just doesn't compute for me.

Could it be the fuel pump?

Old 07-12-2020, 10:16 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
W212 E350; W166 GLC300; W164 ML550; W164 ML63; W221 S65; W220 S430; Escalade ESV
Sounds like you are just throwing parts blindly at the problem. Old S is a low price car but not a cheap car. Perhaps it's time for a diagnostic at the shop?
Old 07-13-2020, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 488 Likes on 432 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by OrmondStar
Oh, I think that's way more work than I'd like to tackle with this car LOL

Bottom line, this is a $3-4k car, so spending anything over a thousand just doesn't compute for me.

Could it be the fuel pump?
no

its your anti theft system preventing starting and it’s the 4 theft relevant parts which need to be swapped

the 4 matched parts sell for $350 on ebay . that’s Most likely what you need . And if they don’t fix the problem you can return them or resell them on ebay for about the same price As everyone always needs them . This is a very common problem

Last edited by tusabes; 07-13-2020 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by tusabes
no

its your anti theft system preventing starting and it’s the 4 theft relevant parts which need to be swapped

the 4 matched parts sell for $350 on ebay . that’s Most likely what you need . And if they don’t fix the problem you can return them or resell them on ebay for about the same price As everyone always needs them . This is a very common problem
So I had my EIS tested and all checked out. My key always activates the car even on occasion when it cranks and doesn’t start.

Also, had the car scanned by Star and didn’t bring up any faults.

I think I’m going to replace the CPS again in case mine is faulty. What about CPS wiring, could it be the culprit?
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (07-19-2020)