S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Help with STAR/Keyless go..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes S500
Help with STAR/Keyless go..

Hey Everyone, I've been lurking around for a couple years and have gotten a lot of help here already, though I've come to what seems to be a really specific point. So I thought I'd bite the bullet and make a post to see if anyone has suggestions.

I bought a 2006 S500 in pretty rough shape about 2 years ago, and have been picking through sorting it out. One of the most frustrating issues has been that the key it came with was "not recognized" on the dash, but worked when inserted into the EIS.
Eventually this key started giving me issues so I figured I'd just go to MB and replace it, which would hopefully also sort out the keyless go issue.
Unfortunately the new key did solve some of the other issues the first key had, though not the Keyless go. When the dealer handed me the new key I suggested it may need some STAR programming to add to a key rail (as I'd read on here) and they assured me it should be good to go unless there were other issues. The clerk followed me out to watch me test the key, and when it didn't work he said there must be something else wrong, and that keys don't require programming for keyless go.

I do have a good friend who works at an indy and can help me out with STAR access, though I need a starting point to access the key rails as he is not aware of this feature.
Any advice or direction you can give on adding the new key to the rails may certainly be helpful, and definitely appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2021, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500L w220.175
I'm no expert but the key tracks under EIS and KeylessGo need to match, something that is easy to do with STAR.