S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Stereo/command unit won’t turn on.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
Stereo/command unit won’t turn on.

Hi all! New the the MB world here, finally getting into my trunk of my 2000 S430 to find out what is going on with my stereo. Everything worked fine aside from no sound. Watched a couple videos of same same issues, mine was CD changer was very badly water damaged. Everything else was clear. Tried the fiber optic method of deleting the loop to the changer and directing it back to the amp. Now my head unit won’t even turn on. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-29-2020, 10:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W220, W210 x 2, R170
Does the head unit power on and then shut down, or is it completely dead? If it turns on and then shuts down I would suspect a break in the fiber or another component that is not powering on. If is dead have you checked fuses?
Old 10-30-2020, 08:31 AM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by brooktre
Does the head unit power on and then shut down, or is it completely dead? If it turns on and then shuts down I would suspect a break in the fiber or another component that is not powering on. If is dead have you checked fuses?

It’s completely dead. I changed the fuse to the amp, though I should probably just go through and check them all. Cause the clock in the cluster isn’t working either and for whatever reason my keyless entry stopped working as well.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:42 AM

W220, W210 x 2, R170
Yes, you need to start checking fuses to get power to your head unit. Did the keyless and clock issues began after you disconnected the CD changer?
Old 10-31-2020, 07:57 PM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by brooktre
Yes, you need to start checking fuses to get power to your head unit. Did the keyless and clock issues began after you disconnected the CD changer?

Yea, I just got the car and was going through cause the keyless wasn’t working when I got it as well as the sound through the speakers, the door lock button on the dash, soft close, and head unit and dash clock were working though. I changed All the fused I had spares for. Everything worked fine aside from no sound. Pulled the amp and everything out, spliced it, and changed the fuse and now it’s dead.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:07 PM

W220, W210 x 2, R170
You can find many issues with the stereo using a volt meter and some general knowledge of the system. For the keyless go and the door lock issues, you really need to have codes read. Most recommend the Mercedes Star Diagnosis System (a Chinese clone of this) or another advanced code reader. Even some issues with the stereo need a code reader to correct. For a do it yourself owner, a code reader is a must or you will go broke paying for service or throwing parts at problems.

if your head unit turned on before you disconnected the CD player, I would retrace those steps and see if you can find out what happened. There is a site W220.ee that has several fuse charts for your car that may help and there is also a lot of other good info on that site.
Old 11-20-2023, 03:34 PM

mercedes benz w220 s500
Hi, did you solve this issue ? because i got exactly same problem. Thx