S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2003 S600 Driver Side Window

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 10:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
‘03 MB S600; ‘07 Saab Aero conv; ‘65 Vette; ‘66 vette; ‘05 BMW Z4
2003 S600 Driver Side Window

Went to put the driver-side front window down and hear a bit of a snap, and the window came loose. It fell about half way and started a slow descent until I grabbed it with my hand. Tried to pull it up but it wouldn't seat in the track - was clearly cocked - and out of concern it would break I simply pulled it up and out. When I press the switch I can hear the motor running.

Now - what to do.

I haven't removed the door panel yet, but i'm assuming the clips that hold the window glass to the regulator broke. The glass came out without them, but the marks from where they attach are visible. I assumed I could order a new regulator, but MB tells me the clips are part of the window glass ($520). I don't believe the clips are available separately.

Looking for confirmation that my assumptions are correct (likely broken clips), that the clips are indeed part of the glass itself, and if there are other possible sources of the clips (I see a window on ebay but it looks discolored - cannot tell if its the photo or the glass). I've also read posts about double-sided tape, and wondering if it's possible the clips are intact (not likely I suppose) and simply need to be re-adhered to the clip (probably can't tell for sure until the panel is off).

All comments/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
The left rear window on my 2003 S500 came loose in the same fashion. I removed the door card (interior panel) so that I could access the attach clip. I cleaned the glass where the clip attaches on both sides thoroughly with acetone (lacquer thinner, alcohol, brake cleaner, etc.,etc. would work), and cleaned the inside of the clip where the glass fits. I mixed some good epoxy and applied it to both sides of the glass where it fits into the clip, and to the inside of the clip.

I then inserted the glass into the clip as closely as I could to where the marks indicated it should be. I then powered the window up in spurts, checking the position as I did so, and pushing and pulling on the glass and the connection to make sure that the window was going up in the correct orientation with the clip in the correct position. When the glass reached the top of its travel, I let it sit for twenty-four hours to cure. Still working perfectly.

You will need to figure out a way to power the window without blocking your view. In addition, you DO NOT want to turn the ignition on with the side air bag disconnected! If you do, you will probably get an SRS error code that can only be cleared using DAS. it's going to be difficult to access the operation with the air bag plugged in...
Old 01-11-2021, 03:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
‘03 MB S600; ‘07 Saab Aero conv; ‘65 Vette; ‘66 vette; ‘05 BMW Z4
Wally - thanks for your response. I've assumed the clips are broken - but perhaps not. It might have to wait until the weekend, but I will attempt the door panel removal to see what's what. I'll keep my fingers crossed until then.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
The window is held in the clip by double-stick tape...