S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S320 CDI - market value?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W124 300D
S320 CDI - market value?

I have what may be the only W220 S320 CDI in Australia. This model didn't come to Australia, and this is a UK import. As it has the legendary OM613 engine with relatively low mileage, I'm guessing it's worth a few bucks. It's not noticeably different in styling from the later 2008-9 models with the poxy alloy V6.

I'm curious to know what market value these things are holding around the world.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,045 Likes on 968 Posts
1999 E300TD
My guess 4000 bucks, thats USD
Old 02-18-2021, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
Doesn’t really matter what market value is around the world , it matters in your country . I know prices for American muscle cars are much higher in Australia than USA but I don’t know about your typical 20 year old luxury sedan , which I’m guessing is not much . There is no collector interest for a s class sedan .

people who want luxury sedans want new ones not old ones. So it’s really just a used car .

$4000 usd might be fair if that’s the going price for 20 year old luxury sedans in Australia , I just don’t know what your market prices are like for that type of car . if most nice older luxury cars sell for $10-15k then that’s the market .

since you are in Australia the car is likely right hand drive . That means only about 4 other countries use rhd cars . In the uk or Japan these cars have no value as taxes are high on older cars . So exporting to a different country wouldn’t help in terms of higher value
The following users liked this post:
MikeKerr7 (02-21-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W124 300D
Originally Posted by tusabes
Doesn’t really matter what market value is around the world , it matters in your country . I know prices for American muscle cars are much higher in Australia than USA but I don’t know about your typical 20 year old luxury sedan , which I’m guessing is not much . There is no collector interest for a s class sedan .

people who want luxury sedans want new ones not old ones. So it’s really just a used car .

$4000 usd might be fair if that’s the going price for 20 year old luxury sedans in Australia , I just don’t know what your market prices are like for that type of car . if most nice older luxury cars sell for $10-15k then that’s the market .

since you are in Australia the car is likely right hand drive . That means only about 4 other countries use rhd cars . In the uk or Japan these cars have no value as taxes are high on older cars . So exporting to a different country wouldn’t help in terms of higher value
Yes well, as I say the value in this car comes from the fact that this engine didn't come to Australia. There are only 2 S-Class diesels in the country (around 2008-2009) and they are going for around 35K. The styling is similar to mine at a glance.
I'm not sure what else is happening around the world, but the price of older Mercs is going through the roof in Aust. A couple of years ago you could have bought a W123 for 2-3K, but now they're over 30K. Same thing is happening with W124s. I just snapped up one of the last ones on the cheap, so the only way is up. Just got a cheap W116 as well, which will be the same story

Same thing is happening with motorbikes. I was talking to a bloke in the trade and he said the issue is that because of the Covid panic, dealers just can't get new vehicles. Not sure if that's a worldwide phenomenon but it's certainly the case here.
Anyhow, I'm in no hurry to sell it. I'll gt it registered, stick a premium price on it, and see what happens.