S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Freon Recharge not conclusive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2021 | 12:35 AM

Mercedes S500 W220
Freon Recharge not conclusive

This is about my AC. Took it to a shop which does not specialize in AC repair but came out with a bill for $3500.00. I wasn't convinced and instead got one of those freon recharge canisters which comes with a gauge. Turned it on and the freon was low and loaded it up. Tested the AC after the recharge and it definitely is a whole lot better than what it was but the cooling wasn't much appreciable. Drove the car for about 5 miles hoping it would fix it but did not. Now the pressure level is good and don't see any leaks. I even reset the fault codes just for the heck of it because it showed no errors. Now I really don't know what to do. My question is what gives? Is there something else going wrong?

If this indeed needs a new compressor, condenser and the whole 9 yards, I will probably buy a personal air conditioner, Would greatly appreciate if someone could shed some light.

Old 05-28-2021 | 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 S500 2007 GL450
It would help us make guesses if you actually told us, in detail and specifically, what your AC system is doing, or is not doing. "...but the cooling wasn't much appreciable" is about the same as saying, "My car is not running very well - what is wrong?"

Some examples of things that we need to know: Does cool air come from any vent? Does cold air come from any vent? Does the performance vary at all with time that is, does it start cooling very slowly and slowly increase? Or does it start cooling some, and then stop cooling at all? Does the amount of airflow seem normal, but just isn't cold enough? Is one side cold and the other side warm?

The amount of refrigerant in the system is critical, and you have no way of knowing how much is in there.

You can do some diagnosis by touch. After the system has been running for several minutes, cautiously feel of the two AC lines on the left side of the engine compartment. Is one line very warm to hot? Is the other line warm? Cool? Cold?
Old 05-28-2021 | 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Wally this is the same guy who posted at Benz world
https://www.benzworld.org/threads/fr...#post-18216045

most of the same people are in both forums so it’s better you continue this thread at Benzworld