Buying a S350 or S500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 500
Buying a S350 or S500

Hello all,

So I'm new here. I joined because I am looking to buy a 2003 - 2006 S350 or S500. I am looking at cars with between 50,000 - 90,000 miles. Most I've seen vary in price from £2500 - £5000 for well looked after vehicles with just two or three owners. I have seen cheaper ones starting at £1200, but these are higher mileage vehicles from 125 -220k, still seem to be looked after for the most part too, but I'm not interested in those. Also seen higher priced ones too, some as much as £10,000.

So I'd like some advise on some of the common problems that I should look for when viewing cars. I did have a look through the forums and do a search and couldn't see any specific posts or see any repeat problems, but there are a lot of threads, maybe I missed something obvious.

Just a few questions too!
1. Sat Nav - I'm looking at the ones with the rectangular screen as apposed to the earlier ones with the square screen;
Any particular issues with them?
When was the last update?
2. Heated seats - Do all the cars that have heated seats also have the cooling option too? Are they front and rear?
3. Steering wheel - Is that heated too? The wooden one an option and easy to install?
4. Heated front windscreen?
5. Engine - which is more reliable the 350 (3.7ltr I believe) or the 500 (5ltr)? I suppose they both have different common faults?

Are the prices about right? Is the 500 generally more expensive compared to 350 of the same year?

I think that's it for now, but I am rather tired so I may have more questions later.

Thanks in advance! Have a great Monday.

Edited: 14 June 2021 23:00 (BST)
Are the engines Belt driven or timing chain?

Regardless as to when it was last serviced it will have a full service done including all fluids and filters, anything else I should check or renew?
If halogen bulbs are fitted is it possible to do a HID conversion or LED bulbs? Are the light units suitable for HID conversion? (UK MOT laws)
Can the trip computer or message centre (whatever Mercedes call them) where the speedo is, be updated at all? (another seller says it's faulty and needs updating)

Last edited by Mr_Integrity; 06-14-2021 at 06:12 PM. Reason: More info required
Old 06-14-2021, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
The last update for the 2004-2006 models to nav is 2014 there is a thread on it . Any factory nav is useless compared to a modern phone , no one uses the nav . Or you can get a custom fit android that matched the look of the factory unit

the seats may just have heat , or the fancier ones which aren’t heated and cooled - they are heated and ventilated - ie they have little computer case style fans which barely do anything .

There are threads on taking off the foam and using more powerful fans but they still aren’t cooled like some cars which have actual air conditioner cool air in the seats

yes you can easily change steering wheels to wood

both the s350 and s500 are reliable .

read this to see common problems you can expect regardless of mileage
https://www.benzworld.org/threads/so...#post-18213415

these are 15 year old $80,000 luxury cars and all will need maintenance

The following users liked this post:
Mr_Integrity (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 500
Thanks!
I currently have a jag which I've had for 13 years now, giving it to my son, so going back to Mercedes and I've always liked the S class, so I know all to well about the upkeep of older cars. I maintain my vehicles no matter the cost, providing they will last the test of time. I'd say my jag is good for another 10 years, I'd apply the same care to any car I get.

TBH I didn't think the sat nav system would be up to much, have the same thing with my jag and that could have an android conversion done it, which may be something I (or my son) will do in time. It's just one of the cars I saw for sale, a 2005, say it had an issue with the sat nav and the seller said it just needed updating, which triggered my "Spidey sense", hence my asking.

I'll check out the link, thanks again for your response!

Last edited by Mr_Integrity; 06-15-2021 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Usually a problem with the factory nav is draining the cars battery , rendering the car dead every morning. So it can be much worse than just an non functioning nav
The following 2 users liked this post by tusabes:
biker349 (06-16-2021), Mr_Integrity (06-15-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 03:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
'03 s350
Patience is key in finding the right one. I recently bought an '03 s350, after 4 or 5 months researching and looking at 6 or 7 cars. Nearly bought the first the one I saw, so glad I didn't. Found a near mint one, top to bottom front to back, although it is rare they do exist. Cars maintained religiously by their owners. I knew the second I saw the car that this was it, just immaculate condition. And I really mean this guy loved his car, even trunk hinges are shining. That of course is a clear sign that a car has been well maintained and taking care of. If you are going to take care of your car, then I don't think there is a better car/ride than an s class. The nav on these early models can be a bit tricky, I for example, found that I have a cd tech only head unit with the rectangular screen. Which is double bad news for me because it won't read mp3 cd's or dvd's, and the cd's I do get running after burning don't work great.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kammie:
biker349 (06-16-2021), Mr_Integrity (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Kammie
Patience is key in finding the right one. I recently bought an '03 s350, after 4 or 5 months researching and looking at 6 or 7 cars. Nearly bought the first the one I saw, so glad I didn't. Found a near mint one, top to bottom front to back, although it is rare they do exist. Cars maintained religiously by their owners. I knew the second I saw the car that this was it, just immaculate condition. And I really mean this guy loved his car, even trunk hinges are shining. That of course is a clear sign that a car has been well maintained and taking care of. If you are going to take care of your car, then I don't think there is a better car/ride than an s class. The nav on these early models can be a bit tricky, I for example, found that I have a cd tech only head unit with the rectangular screen. Which is double bad news for me because it won't read mp3 cd's or dvd's, and the cd's I do get running after burning don't work great.
a 2003 should be the only year with a headphone jack in the glove box . You can then put a Bluetooth to headphone jack adapter in the glovebox and get full Bluetooth function

The following users liked this post:
Mr_Integrity (06-17-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 02:53 PM

'03 s350
Originally Posted by tusabes
a 2003 should be the only year with a headphone jack in the glove box . You can then put a Bluetooth to headphone jack adapter in the glovebox and get full Bluetooth function
Should have come to the expert straight away, I do have a jack in the glove box! I just thought it was a screw at first glace. I never felt this stupid, I was going mad burning cd's and dvd's. What is the best thing to do with the jack? What are the options with it? Just hook it up to an Ipod?
Old 06-23-2021, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
You can use a regular headphone cable to hook it to a phone or iPod but If you have your music on your phone , I would use a Bluetooth headphone adapter so it’s wireless

you just stick this in your glovebox jack then wirelessly connect to your phone via Bluetooth

Old 06-25-2021, 01:24 PM

'03 s350
Thx a bunch, ordered the second one in pic, 12 hours of playtime is reasonable.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:41 AM

'03 s350
Small eureka! moment when I saw this; https://www.macturn.nl/product/aux-n...39404296875000
Will this work? Sounds to good to be true, just plug a usb stick in and I'm done!? No charging, no fm transmitter in the ashtray, no cable to my phone, no drilling nothing. Sinds I am getting great sound when plugging my phone in the aux with a jack to jack cable I'm hoping this will also work.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
The aux connector is a one-way street - it will allow input of a stereo signal to the COMAND. It does not provide any control of the input device, and doesn't go hunting for audio files. In other words, all you have is an amplifier and speakers, not a music playing device. You must select and play from some other device.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:03 AM

'03 s350
Dang it! Yea and probably no power on the jack in the glove box for the usb stick to begin with. I really don't want to mess with a stock car in mint condition but it's looking more and more like I have to switch to a aftermarket head unit completely to scratch my itch.