S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Clogged CAT? Help?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 Mercedes S500
Clogged CAT? Help?!?

For a while now, I feel like when I floor my car I get a rotten egg smell out of the exhaust. About 10k miles ago I took it to Mercedes while my car was still under warrantee and they said they did a check and couldn't come up with anything. Now even when I speed from 0-60 it smells alot more powerful and is really getting on my nerves. Would I be able to have Mercedes fix it, (or replace it) because it's covered under emissions? Also what are the side effects to having a clogged cat? Someone mentioned poor gas mileage which I think could be the case with my car. TIA
Old 09-19-2004, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300E
Armani,
I don't know if there is anything wrong with the car.
I got 2 stories which caused my car and my friend's car smelled like sh**.

I thought my engine was gonna blow up or something, because it smells so badly. That was Burnt smell. I brought it to dealer, they found nothing. So, I brought it to my friend's shop, he found that a plastic stuck on my exhaust which made the smell.

My friend is in Ohio. It was freezing on that time. He told me that his car smelled like skunk. So, he went to check it, and found 5 dead mice below the engine. We suspected that the mice was trying to warm themselves, so they hide under the engine since it was warm.

I don't know what is wrong with your car. Goodluck anyway.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question Fuel Mixture is Wrong?

Simply an educated guess on my part, but usually when one smells that rotten egg odor, the "Cat" is simply trying to do its job. The exhaust smells because the Cat is being overloaded with unburned fuel, and is simply trying to clean up the mess which it is what it is designed to do.

Did you say that your fuel economy is poor? Wouldn't the two go hand in hand? Sounds like you might have a bad sensor somewhere that is sending the wrong signals to the computer. Start with the MAF.

Like I said, only an educated guess.

Rots of Ruck.