S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Brake callipers rear. Cannot find the right ones

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Brake callipers rear. Cannot find the right ones

My rear brakes are getting hot during driving. Replaced rotors,pads and hoses. Had difficulties in finding right pads. One vendor sent small ones. The other vendor send the big ones which are hold from the sides of callipers. Would like to replace callipers now. What are the right ones. 0710/410 are the I’d codes. Year 12/2003? Any recommendations highly appreciated.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
By far the best way to buy parts is by the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). Any good source of Mercedes parts should be able to furnish the correct parts based upon the VIN.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
That’s what I usually do, but: Mercedes do only sell rubber boots and seal as repairkit, no pistons. That keeps wrong tracks in the after market open. What I mean is, if 280,320,350 callipers are used on the 500 it’ll fit well on the hook up points but not to the thick rotors. The 500 has 22mm double rotors. The 280,etc have 11mm. Wouldn‘t such a repair lead to dragging of the rear brakes, in other words, the rotors get more than warm?
Old 02-10-2022, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Welcome to the forum!

I agree that it is sad that the vendors don't know what they are selling, but things are a little more complex than that. For example, early on, I found a 2002 S500 in the pull-a-part yard with good-looking rear calipers and rotors. I noticed that the rotors were thick ventilated versions, and that calipers were much larger than those on my 2003 S430. Great - I bought calipers, rotors, pad, brackets, hoses, etc. for very little money, and upgraded the brakes on my car. A little research showed that the brakes changed in October of 2002, and that the only way to know which you had was to use the VIN or a direct comparison. Model and year didn't help at all.

I have had the same problem that you did - overheating rear brakes - on both of the W220's that I have had. The boots and seals are really all that you usually need to rebuild the calipers (plus the proper brake grease). The pistons were very high quality, still looking like new, and I have seen no damage or corrosion on any of the calipers that I have repaired, nor have the bores been damaged enough to worry about. You can buy the seal and boot kits from many different sources, but given the obvious safety issues with quality of rubber, fit, etc., I think that buying from Mercedes (not Amazon or eBay) is well worthwhile.

Everything in life involves trade-offs, and few things more than brake pads and tires. The better brands of pads and better vendors usually show photos or drawing of the pads, so you can get ones that fit. Then you just have to balance the trade-offs among stopping ability/pad life/dust production/noise/cost/rotor wear, etc., etc.