S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

noise from front AMG rim center cap

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 09-30-2004, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 s500
noise from front AMG rim center cap

hi, have a 01 s500 sport with chromed factory/AMG 5 spoke oem 18" rims..... i had the MB dealer look at the car for a nonreproducible break system error code and after that, the center MB cap on the rim is loose/moving and it makes noise when the car is moving.... annoying at best but it's bothersome.... i think it's the cause because i checked the 3 other rim center caps and they are tight/no movement... this front left one is loose and moves....

i couldn't take it off either...it just spins/moves a bit...

how is the cap mounted and what's my option? do you think the mechanic broke a tab when he put it back or took it off? superglue into the gap on the cap?

jim R
01 s500 AMG rim
jjrho@adelphia.net
Old 10-02-2004, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250 sport
Originally Posted by jjrho
hi, have a 01 s500 sport with chromed factory/AMG 5 spoke oem 18" rims..... i had the MB dealer look at the car for a nonreproducible break system error code and after that, the center MB cap on the rim is loose/moving and it makes noise when the car is moving.... annoying at best but it's bothersome.... i think it's the cause because i checked the 3 other rim center caps and they are tight/no movement... this front left one is loose and moves....

i couldn't take it off either...it just spins/moves a bit...

how is the cap mounted and what's my option? do you think the mechanic broke a tab when he put it back or took it off? superglue into the gap on the cap?

jim R
01 s500 AMG rim
jjrho@adelphia.net
buy a new center cap, just break the old one off, they're 6 dollars on this website and make sure you choose the chrome one! http://www.performanceproducts.com/P...producttype=20 PS- I just put new ones on my dads '03 ML55 w/ Brabus wheels, it first had the star and laurel cap, then I changed it to the silver cap with the chrome Mercedes emblem, looks a ton better, and very easy to take off, just pry it out with a small screw driver, and to put on be very careful or the tabs will break,it will snap in securely with some force...

Last edited by akbro93704; 10-02-2004 at 01:28 AM.