Shark fin antenna

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Shark fin antenna

My shark fin antenna is broken off.

1 Is it hard to replace myself or is it a shop job?

2. Is that a reason why the trunk, door locks, shade and headrest doesn’t work?

Last edited by Brickcity; 05-23-2022 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Do you have the nav system?
Does it work?
Do you have the cell phone system?
Does it work?

It has been several years since I was messing with my antenna, so this might not be exact...

If I remember correctly, the flat circuitry that I see is for the nav system - the phone antenna is a small vertical board - again, if I remember correctly. If you have the nav system, but not the phone system, and the nav system still works correctly, all that you are missing is the antenna cover.

You can buy the complete antenna with cables on eBay for somewhere around $100. To replace the antenna, you have to cut the glue pad under the antenna, then pull the cable or cables from the outside channel, then disconnect inside the trunk and work them out. Installation is the reverse. You will need to buy the glue pad from the dealer, unless you can find a vendor who has the actual MB part. Whether or not you can do the job depends upon your skill level. I did, but I have been working on cars for a long time...

You can buy a cheap ($10) dummy plastic cover on eBay. Be sure that the dummy is hollow, not solid. You will have to trim some internal stiffeners to get it to fit over your antenna, then glue the shell on with black RTV (silicone glue/sealer). This would be easier. If you are not certain of your skill, you might buy two of the covers, just in case.

No, the missing antenna cover has no connection with your other problem.

Look in the right rear passenger area, and find the floor lamp behind the passenger's heels. Pull it out - don't disconnect it. Find the yellow 20Amp fuse near the right end of the row, and pull it out. If it is blown, replace with a new non-Chinese fuse. If it isn't blown, just put it back in. You have just reset the PSE (Pneumatic Service Equipment) control unit.

See if the door locks, etc. now work. If not, more research and testing is needed.

Good luck!

Last edited by wallyp; 05-23-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
The radio doesn’t turn on , or it doesn’t work. (I received the car this way)