S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

03 S430 won’t crank won’t shift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2022 | 03:57 PM

03 s430 4matic
03 S430 won’t crank won’t shift

What up everybody, I’m new to mb. I recently picked up a super clean s430. Runs great sounds amazing no issues until today. I went to make a U turn, shift to R and it seemed like the gear did not catch. It showed on the cluster that I was in R but the car was rolling toward. I went through all the gears and none of them would catch as if the car was in N. I put it in P shut the car for a few min, went to start it back up and nothing. All the electronics work fine everything comes on but the nothing happens when I turn the key no clicks no turn over. The car was driving perfectly fine right before this. The only issue I had was check engine light for my secondary air pump, besides that the car has been running like a dream. I appreciate any help I get thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2022 | 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 S500 2007 GL450
Does the dash indicator show the same gear selection as the shift lever in all positions?

First thing that I would check would be the bushings on the metal rod between the shifter and the transmission. It is not too unusual for one of the bushings to fail and the rod to drop out of the lever on one end.
Old 08-27-2022 | 10:51 PM

03 s430 4matic
Originally Posted by wallyp
Does the dash indicator show the same gear selection as the shift lever in all positions?

First thing that I would check would be the bushings on the metal rod between the shifter and the transmission. It is not too unusual for one of the bushings to fail and the rod to drop out of the lever on one end.

thank you for the reply, yes I can see the the gear I switch to now, P,N,D they all show up as they should but the car does not turn over at all when I turn the key. I was thinking something with the shifter linkage because the shifter felt a lot “smoother” you can say. I’m going to watch a couple videos thank you for the reply I’ll post updates
Old 10-10-2022 | 04:52 PM

fleet
did you ever figure this out?