S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2001 S 430 Sporadic trunk opening- no soft close

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s430
2001 S 430 Sporadic trunk opening- no soft close

202K miles. Trunk latch replaced some years ago with MB part. My trunk would not open last week after coming home from a tech session. Why did it not fail next to an MB Tech? Anyway key or door activation did not work so I opened it manually. Then the key started working re opening the trunk. I also realized the soft close had been out for a few days. I pulled the trunk lining and looked around the plastic drum. The opener fired with every key touch. The "tongue" would come out of the drum . I do not know why the opener started working- maybe I squeezed the drum. I could not see cracking on the drum so I do not want to buy a rear trunk latch activator servo on ebay for $55 I saw NickleinR6 said to epoxy over various BBs in tubes but he had an SL.
So do i epoxy up the drum(though it looks ok) and BBs and hope? Anything else cause this?
Thanks
Old 01-29-2024, 02:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
S55
Originally Posted by bmoe21
202K miles. Trunk latch replaced some years ago with MB part. My trunk would not open last week after coming home from a tech session. Why did it not fail next to an MB Tech? Anyway key or door activation did not work so I opened it manually. Then the key started working re opening the trunk. I also realized the soft close had been out for a few days. I pulled the trunk lining and looked around the plastic drum. The opener fired with every key touch. The "tongue" would come out of the drum . I do not know why the opener started working- maybe I squeezed the drum. I could not see cracking on the drum so I do not want to buy a rear trunk latch activator servo on ebay for $55 I saw NickleinR6 said to epoxy over various BBs in tubes but he had an SL.
So do i epoxy up the drum(though it looks ok) and BBs and hope? Anything else cause this?
Thanks

Hello,
You should hear hissing if there is a leak, also diagnostic tool would also tell you that.
Yes, epoxy could fix the problem.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:30 PM

s430
I do not hear any hissing except when The plunger comes out of the drum. Have you fixed this problem before? Thanks
Old 01-30-2024, 12:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
S55
Originally Posted by bmoe21
I do not hear any hissing except when The plunger comes out of the drum. Have you fixed this problem before? Thanks
I tried to fix one in the doors, but again i dindn't pull assembly out, left inside and tried to fix it.
It was good maybe for half a year and then broke again.
Bought one from scrap yard and applied epoxy around it, now about one year without issue.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:04 AM

s430
I do not hear a leak around the black drum or white box . Do I lekely still have a leak? I pulle out fuse #62 for 30-60 sec too.