S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

The car freaked out today.....threw an SRS red warning.....need help to trouble shoot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 09:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2005 e320 cdi
The car freaked out today.....threw an SRS red warning.....need help to trouble shoot

The car is a 2003 s55 but believe any w220 chassis knowledge will apply here. Tried searching for leads on the issue(s) without any luck. Hoping someone who sees this will be able to point me in the right direction.

So let's get to it. Driving the car today and started hearing some weird clicking noise from rear of cabin. First started with a click here or there. After a while i started noticing more frequent clicks, then progressed to multiple clicks at a time. Progressed further to frequent clicks with multiple audible noises. Thought is was something to do with driveline as i was rolling, but then noticed at full stop as well. Determined it was coming from the rear seat belt locations....like around where the belts go into the C pillar.

As proceeding further the clicks came about so vigorously that the speed of the repetitious clicks sounded something like rapidly unwinding of a ratchet strap....or machine gun(but not as loud obviously). The point it it came on strong from both sides for between 10-30 seconds, then the noise stopped. About a mile down the road coming to a stop the car's dash freaked out. Got a red warning of the SRS system and some other lights on cluster. Put car in park, shut off, restarted and still the warning on dash. Continued to store and noticed upon exiting the alarm arm no longer flashed my turn signals. Didn't do it for arm or disarm. So went back to car to check signals and now no turn signals work.

Here are some other things i've noticed. With engine running the rear fog lights are constantly lit up(the lights along bottom of lens). Brake lights work, thankfully. Light switch to the right, position one and two-front amber corner lights come on but nothing else. Third position 'lights on'-the front lights come on but nothing at rear. Only when car is running will the rear fog lights come on. Light switch to the left, position one and two, nothing.

Typically the SRS warning would not be a big deal but with the lights/turn signal issue has me wanting to fix immediately. When pulled codes with cheap scanner here is what popped up.....0505, 0135, 0460, 0410 So yeah, fuel gauge not working now either. However, this all happened after the SRS red warning so thinking all these codes are just thrown due to the root cause. Will be checking fuses in the next few days. In the mean time maybe someone knows for certain what could cause all these symptoms and share their experience. Thinking perhaps there is a relay, or SAM, or other electric hub that pooped the bed causing all these other things to pop off.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
This is usually a damaged, Sam, or a damaged door control, module, which are the power seat switches on the door. In my case, it was the door control, module, causing the clicks, and also the flickering of the headlights. But other people have reported the rear Sam became water damaged and caused similar issues.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:41 AM

2005 e320 cdi
Originally Posted by tusabes
This is usually a damaged, Sam, or a damaged door control, module, which are the power seat switches on the door. In my case, it was the door control, module, causing the clicks, and also the flickering of the headlights. But other people have reported the rear Sam became water damaged and caused similar issues.

Leaning toward rear SAM. Both the rear belt tensioners went crazy so i suspect it may not be a door module. What is weird is the fuel level circuit went out. Well, that and all the lighting issues, mainly rear.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
While this might not be the source of your problem, there has been a known W220 problem for many years concerning water damage to the electrical equipment under the right carpet , extending to and including the rear SAM. There are numerous threads in the W220 forums, videos on YouTube, etc. I suggest that you take this seriously, and do some extensive research on the subject.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ins-clean.html

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/s3...#post-17945790

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/w2...#post-18203247
Old 03-27-2024, 01:39 PM

2005 e320 cdi
OMG, just spent a long time typing out a follow up post only to have it erased by some glitch on the site. Apparently quick reply doesn't work for me.

Here is the quick summary. Car had water on floor from moon roof leak, dried up car and now all works fine.

So sorry for those coming here to find something helpful. I really tried to put a full description of everything that happened but not going to waste anymore time trying to retype.

Always a good idea to remove kick panels and pour a little water down moon roof drains to check for clogs or leaks. My car never showed signs of any issue only to find out corner completely rusted out.