S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Gauge cluster went on the fritz (literally), now car won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 11:26 AM

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
Gauge cluster went on the fritz (literally), now car won't start

Another day another w215/w220 problem. The gauge cluster (literally) went on the fritz, first with blinking lights, then the smell of electrical smoke and the whole thing went dark.

After this happened the car could still be started (fortunately) and was rolled into the garage, but now it won't recognize the key, either with keyless, or with by putting the key in the ignition. Obviously I wouldn't know if there are any messages on the dashboard, it's fried.

Fortunately maturity and experience has kept me from becoming a psychiatric patient about the issue, but it' something that needs to be tackled. Is the gauge cluster linked with the key recognition or ignition module (or whatever Mercedes uses for this)? I have a remote memory of these cares somehow being able to start only a couple times with the gauge cluster removed before shutting down completely, to stop mileage fraud or something. I'm right now hoping this is the case, and that the gauge cluster will come back to life once repaired.

So now the obvious next thing: How the hell do I fix it? I won't be able to pull the gauge cluster to inspect it for another week or two, but I want to start looking at my options and possible solutions. I have a relatively complete electronics testing and repair lab, but that won't preclude me sending it off to be repaired if necessary.... assuming such a reputable service is available. Any advice?
Old 07-29-2024, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
If you don't have the two special tools required to remove the cluster, you need to order them now - they are cheap and readily-available.

Once you have the tools (keys), just run the steering wheel all the way out and all the way down. You can put a towel over the column to help prevent scratches. Insert the two keys into the small vertical slots on each end, pull the cluster out.

This will let you give it a close inspection to help decide that you want to do. Used clusters sell for $120 - $300 on eBay, and for $25 (yes, that is $25.00 US) at my local Pull-A-Part. There will be some complications if you change the cluster.
Old Yesterday, 04:58 AM

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
Originally Posted by wallyp
If you don't have the two special tools required to remove the cluster, you need to order them now - they are cheap and readily-available.

Once you have the tools (keys), just run the steering wheel all the way out and all the way down. You can put a towel over the column to help prevent scratches. Insert the two keys into the small vertical slots on each end, pull the cluster out.

This will let you give it a close inspection to help decide that you want to do. Used clusters sell for $120 - $300 on eBay, and for $25 (yes, that is $25.00 US) at my local Pull-A-Part. There will be some complications if you change the cluster.
I have the tools. I've removed the gauge cluster on the w220 and replaced the screen that went dim with an overpriced used one on ebay.
My intention was to find the broken component and replace it. Good call on the junkyard. Maybe there's a specific memory module I can swap over to avoid complications.
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
If you enjoy tinkering and electronics cool but personally I would just use one of those w220 eBay cluster repair services for $160 and send in your original one so you don’t have errors relating to odometer

swapping another cluster is going to result in all dash marks on your odometer