2001 S500 Possible EIS issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
2001 S500 Possible EIS issue

Hey all!

New member here, but I have been reading for years, and I appreciate all that is the wealth of information you all have. Thanks! I'm not a mechanic, and I really am in dire need of any information you all can offer me.

Currently, I'm having what seems to be an EIS issue. I'll start from the beginning of what I noticed happened with my vehicle which has led up to this.

In November of 2023, my anti-theft alarm was, what I believe, dying. When I locked the car, the alarm would sound for no apparent reason. The siren eventually gave out, and the hazard lights would continue to flash for, I would say about 20 minutes before stopping. (Odd thing about this is, my passenger fog light had not been working for a couple months, but all of the sudden started to work again when the hazards were flashing because of the alarm? It currently is not working, still in July 2024.) I have not had this issue for at least 4 months or more. During the time this started, I was driving home and my 'airmatic visit workshop' light came on. The ride became very bumpy. Turned my car on to take it to my mechanic the next morning, the notification was gone, issue was gone, and it never occurred again. I believe the siren is dead (or from what I've read here, the battery) I have locked my car, pulled on the door handle: no alarm.

Around that time, I started having issues with my headlights flickering off and on, briefly while driving before coming back on, and a couple times I lost all lights/accessories of my instrument panel. (Again, this instrument panel issue has not occurred for at least 6 months) The headlights sometimes still flicker while driving. I noticed when I would hit slight bumps in the road, I would lose my windshield wipers, garage door opener on my rear view mirror, and my steering wheel adjustment. The accessories would come back again when I hit another slight bump in the road.

Since last year, it has progressed to problems starting the car. I have noticed, there is a yellow light on my rearview mirror, and when it is lit, I can start the vehicle, and all accessories work perfectly, and when it is not, the engine will not turn over. But with any slight bump it seems to trip it and I lose those accessories. I cannot always find the yellow light by moving my fob around inside the ignition (which unfortunately has become my tool to start my car, and it's becoming worse now. It took me 3 hours to start my car yesterday.) My mechanic and I believe it is the EIS, however, I have been waiting 5 months for the EIS for my vehicle which is on Mercedes' backorder, and I'm beginning to wonder whether it will ever be available again. I have no issues turning the key in the ignition, there does seem to be some play in the cylinder, as I can move the keyfob around, and it seems to be the cause of these accessories being lost, and a loss of connection to start the car. Oddly these days, once I find the light, despite bumps, I do not lose accessories. Other times, I cannot keep it on. It's frustratingly inconsistent.

I have purchased a donor EIS, but the locksmith wants to charge me the same price as a new EIS (on backorder) and wants to take it home on his 'free time' to virginize it, which really is concerning to me.

I have read numerous threads on this forum about the association between the EIS and the ATA. Is it possible the issues are stemming from the ATA, or a blown fuse? Can anyone confirm the EIS being the issue, or recommend steps of resolution?

Many thanks in advance!