S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Anyone had problems with leaking washer fluid reservoir?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone had problems with leaking washer fluid reservoir?

Just wondering. The reservoir on my 00 S500 started leaking as the temps reached lows around 0 F. It seems that on of the two hoses at the bottom didn't maintain a seal and it started to leak from there.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:04 AM

W220
Exclamation

Had a similar problem a couple of months ago.
The story:
WW fluid start leaking somewhere from the bottom of the canister (impossible to detect without lifting the car and taking off bottom plastic engine cover).
Brought it to MB stealership (sorry, my mistake ) - they "fixed" it...
Next time I used headlamp washer - the leak started again.
So this time I decided to take a closer look on WTF happened...
Apparently, the hose (on the bottom of the canister) that supply headlamp washers, was disconnected. (Obviously, when car was in MB to fix this problem - mechanic just reconnected the hose and marked the job done, DUMBASS )
I took my car to my friend's body shop and his mechanic connected that pipe back again and placed a clamp to hold the connection.
No problems after that (and during this time of the year I use windshield and headlamp washers VERY often. I think that with time the plastic pipe getting loose and couldn't hold the pressure (unless you secure it with the clamp).

Hope it helps.

P.S. Just another example how MB service completely incompetent, even compare to unaffiliated mechanics charging half price per hour or less
Please, don't get me wrong, but I during the last decade with a few MB cars I experienced MB service from 3 (out of 6) very big dealerships in my area (within 30 mi radius). The major impression - MB recently have a huge problem with quality service and totally reluctant to do their job while charging double rates.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:36 AM

2000 S-Class
I am having similar problems. I just recently been using the wipers since driving from the San Jose to Los Angeles. I just refilled it the other day and while parking it overnight in my garage the fluid leaked out the bottom of the front bumper. Later on when I drove the car the "Check Engine" light came on. Hopefully you can help me with some details on the fix or the actual problem. Oh I just had B service done a month ago and everything had checked out fine! Thanks for any help!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are rubber seals that go between the washer pump and the washer tank, the rubber seal is only like a buck or so, if you also have a headlamp washer, you will need two seals, however if the new seals dont fix the leak, then the tank will most likely need to be replaced because the inlet diameter hole for the washer pump has increased and the new seals will not fit tightly between the washer pump and the tank. a new washer tank is around $35 if i recall correctly. this should not cause a check engine light however.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:17 AM

2000 S-Class
Thanks for that info. I will take a look at it tomorrow morning and if I can't find a fix I will have to take in. Can I purchase the seal from the dealership? How many seals total because my car has headlamp washers as well? Thanks for the info!
Old 10-23-2005, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it can be purchased either at the dealer or online, and you will need two gromets. one for headlight pump and one for windshield pump.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt it's the grommets that are leaking. Usually, it's the hose with the heater wire that is leaking.