S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S430 First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 02:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430 First Impressions

My dad just got a Y2K S430, black/tan. Just for grins, I let him borrow my CLK430 and he let me drive his S for the day.

First impressions....even though this car weighs more than my CLK, it seems almost as quick if I touch-shift to the redline. The suspension is softer, but it handles adequately for a big sedan. The COMAND system is better in my CLK, IMHO. I think the all-in-one system of the CLK is lots better, especially since I get one-button access to many menu items that my father can't in his S.

The one thing I really liked was the seats. They are amazing, compared to the seats in my CLK. I wish i had the telescoping seat bottom, finally get enough support for my legs in this car. And I'm in love with the adjustable headrests. I wish I could retrofit these seats into my CLK.

So I still love my CLK beyond anything else, but the S is a great sedan. My dad will be very happy with it. Also, this is the first time he's driven my CLK, so I'll respond with his impressions once I get some. Also, I took a bunch of pics of the two cars today...will post them once I get a chance to get them off the camera.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep the S class is a great car. My brother drives a MY 2000 CLK430 so I tend to do the same comparison.

The build quality of the S class is much better than the CLK. The CLK develops little squeaks and creaks after a few thousand miles. The S class is a solid car.

The suspension is softer, but you can change it via Airmatic or ABC if you have it. I usually set it to the one setting, but I have 19" wheels. You get a much better road feel if you change the airmatic setting.

The S class sound system is much better than the CLK. The 10" woofer (or was it 8") is not that bad for a stock bose system.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard a lot of people complain about their CLKs squeaking and rattling, but I've not had a single problem on mine in 2 years and 24K miles. My Dad's S has 40K miles on it, and is still solid. Unbelievable. I hope my CLK holds out like that in the long run.