S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Scratches on cylinder block! Need engine details to fix!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratches on cylinder block! Need engine details to fix!

Hi

Don't ask how but my 2003 S600 has vertical scratches in 3 of the cylinders from running with no oil (wasn't me!!).

I've been calling everywhere to get this fixed but no one seems no know how the cyl's are lined. Is it Nikasil?

Also, can anyone recomment a good machine shop that can fix it? I'm in BC, Canada but I wouldn't be surprised if I had to ship it across N. America.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2005, 09:24 AM

How do you know that there are these verticle scratches? Have the heads been removed? How deep are the scratches? Are the rings damaged?

I don't believe that the cylinder bores are Nikasil coated. Anyone should be able to bore them out, but I have no idea where you'd get the oversized pistons once the block is bored. (Egge pistons, perhaps.) Or, you could bore them out and re-sleeve them, in which case you might get away with only repairing the three cylinders that were damaged.

What does Mercedes Benz say?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:12 PM

MB says $7,700 CAD + wait 6-8 weeks, new block that comes with pistons.

I've already found a guy who can do it but it looks like I have to do all 12 cyl's because the method involves heating the block up or something, $700 USD + shipping from one coast to the other + 12 new pistons.

I bought the car CHEAP via www.copart.com and didn't know if it started or not, I guess adding 10-15 grand isn't that bad if you paid 1/3rd the original price.