S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Lexus LS 430 a better car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by can drive 55
I owned a 2004 LS430 for a year and I traded it in on a 2005 E55. The Lexus was boring, the Beast is not. Well, duh! That was a given.

The Lexus was a good quality car, quiet, and comfortable. But, there were so many things that irritated me, it quickly lost its appeal and I began to hate the car.

I did not like having to touch "I Agree" on the nav screen every time I started the car. MB lawyers evidently think the owner is mature enough to read the caution statement and behave accordingly.

The default screen on the nav system was the map. I don't know about you, but I rarely use the map. The audio display is the one that I use. On the Lexus, if the audio screen is selected and then the park assist is activated, or the back up camera comes on, the screen returns to the map. You then have to change it back to the audio screen.

The park assist display is in the speedometer and the nav display. It is not in a line-of-sight position like the MB and is practically worthless. The back up camera was about useless in the daytime because the sun washed out the screen.

There were a boatload of features/functions that would not work while the car was in motion - the seat memory buttons, most telephone functions (you cannot dial a number or access the main phonebook), most of the nav functions (forget about locating a Bar BQ restaurant in the next town unless you pull over and park), the FM RDS info, and several driver selectable settings, such as the sensitivity of the smog sensor to automatically change the AC to recirculation.

The headlights were also a joke. The low beams were zenons, but the high beams were halogen. What a difference with the MB bi-zenons. The Lexus low beams were white in color and the high beams were yellow. The high beams were nowhere near as bright as MB's. Also, the adaptive function did just about nothing. They did move left and right, and it was easy to see them move. The light pattern was not up to MB's standards. There were light and dark spots/lines that I could see on the road moving left and right as I turned the wheel. They did not light up anything that I could not see otherwise, but they did move so Toyota could advertise them as adaptive.

The adaptive cruise would not change speed settings in one mile increments like MB. Only 5 MPH changes were possible.

The buttons on the steering wheel were placed in a position that was in the way when I turned corners. I would hit the radio button and the channel would change about 10 times a day.

The rear window sun shade would lower itself when the transmission was place in reverse, as if I could not see out through it. I suppose some lawyer made that decision, rather than some engineer.

I did not like the loud beep and light flashing when I opened the doors when they were locked. I also did not like turning an ignition switch to start the engine (even though it had keyless ignition). The MB button on the shift knob is soooo much better,

The outside mirrors tilted down in reverse. This was OK, but the position was not programmable, like the MB.

The turn signals did not flash 3 times like the MB when the lever is moved and released. (I am getting a bit picky here, but it was a difference that I missed every time I changed lanes.)

The voice control function was just about unusable. It would take 5 to 10 tries to get it right. However, this did not bother me too much, as it didn’t do anything very important. It was a lot easier to change the climate control a degree or 2, than to try to get the voice control to do it. It did not control the telephone’s phone book. That was a problem. The MB voice command works correctly every time and I don’t have to do anything, but move one lever, one time, to make a phone call.

That is all that I can think of off the top of my head. If you are considering a Lexus, think it through and try to spend some time in one before you decide. They are marketed well and seem nice at first, but the Japanese engineering quirks get old, and get old quick.
Nice write up!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:51 AM

W208 CLK320 & E39 M5
Did you really have to quote his entire post for that three word response? Ugh!
Old 07-05-2005, 03:28 AM

The LS430 is the perfect car if you're a boring person who leads a boring life.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by J Lucas
Nice write up!
Thanks (Notice the word count - four. Just messing with you Maestro, nice signature you have)
Old 07-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by naadp
The LS430 is the perfect car if you're a boring person who leads a boring life.
Or if you have a lot of other stuff to do then worry about silly cars.

Calling the LS430 a better car though then the W220 is stupid. It's all relative. As you can tell by can drive 55's write up, he's found that he doesn't like it. It doesn't suit him at all. Because he's shown this with proper descriptions, I respect his opinion and more power to him.

In the end though, I think the Audi is looking more and more appealing, the LS430 has too conservative styling, and the new styling cues from Lexus aren't looking that hot either.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Or if you have a lot of other stuff to do then worry about silly cars.

Calling the LS430 a better car though then the W220 is stupid. It's all relative. As you can tell by can drive 55's write up, he's found that he doesn't like it. It doesn't suit him at all. Because he's shown this with proper descriptions, I respect his opinion and more power to him.

In the end though, I think the Audi is looking more and more appealing, the LS430 has too conservative styling, and the new styling cues from Lexus aren't looking that hot either.
I tend to agree with you on the Audi, at least the A8. When I was in the planning stages of getting rid of my Lexus, I drove an A8. It had, without a doubt, the most comfortable driver's seat of any car that I have driven, including my current E55 (which is quite good in its own right). There is an adjustment on the seat that moves the upper part of the seat back fore and aft. You can adjust it so that it conforms perfectly to your back, no matter how you sit. It almost sold me on the car. The MMI system was also good, but there was no way to sort points of interests by name or category and the park assist did not have a visual display. Otherwise, it was quite impressive, Bluetooth, choice of XM or Sirius, adaptive cruise, ambient interior lighting that is very nice. It is like being in an airplane with LED's in the ceiling, doors, etc providing soft light. It seemed to lack the power that I wanted. I thought my Lexus accelerated faster and I was just a little afraid to buy an Audi. I was unsure of their maintenance reputation. I will consider it next time if I pass on an S600 or S55.

Last edited by Can Drive 55; 07-05-2005 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:33 AM

2012 Cls 63 amg, 2006 Bmw M6
For reliablity can't beat the Lexus. The S-class is the king of all flagships as it has been for past decade as per all car mags....Notice benzo's are always edged out by bimmers by car mags( haters) in every class except this one. However, the Audi A8 has made a gigantic stand in overall performance and value, and style. It is a force to be reckoned with and arguably is edging out current S class or has edged it out. barely
Old 07-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the current S-Class was edged out when the LS430 was introduced. Only the S600 and S55 were kept back at the top barely with the more powerful engines.

Audi's just a dream on wheels. And for right now, it'll stay that way until I can get more information on them as far as reliability is concerned.

I'm stilllll waiting for something from Porsche. After hearing about the 928 supposedly coming back as a four door sedan, I've been thinking about it non-stop. Who cares if Porsches have no soul, as long as it's a fantastic car to drive, who cares about a soul, especially for moms car!

But they better not screw it up like Maserati and the QP !
Old 07-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 S600, 2002 S430, Bently Continental GT coming soon..., Falcon 50.
Originally Posted by J Lucas
.....checking dictionary.com......scanning...checking dictionary.com....scanning...

No entry found for boughthen.

Did you mean bough then?
Suggestions:
bough then
bough-then
bought hen
bought-hen
boughten
burthen
but then
By then

No entry was found in the dictionary. Would you like to search the Web for boughthen?

For better results, try our search tips.
Thanks for the english lesson. I didn't know spelling was so important to you, I guess we all have our "thing". Maybe I could send you all my letters to proof read.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:02 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Jetman
I just bought a S430 a little while ago so I can't say anything in regards to reliablity. But in my choices of cars I never even thought of buying a Lexus. I was in between the BMW 7's and 5's and the MB S500/S430. I have driven my friends LS430 and all I can say is "BORING". It also has that Camry feel to it somehow.
I love my S-class though. The styling, the feel of the interior, the way it drives, love everything about it except for the nav and the power. The is very poorly done on the MB, my 2001 740 BMW had a much better nav system. Also I should have boughten the S55....the S430 feels a little bit under-powered on the pick up, its alright once you get going but nothing like my old 740i sport. I drove both the S430 and S500 and found no difference in power between the 2 of them.
Bottom line....if you buy a Lexus you will always be wishing you had boughthen the Mercedes.

uh, 'boughthen' is not a word. geez. funny how so many of you benz 'owners' have driven camrys. probably because like my old benz dealer, they provided new camrys for loaner when your prestigious car was being repaired. again.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:11 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by caliboy
For reliablity can't beat the Lexus. The S-class is the king of all flagships as it has been for past decade as per all car mags....Notice benzo's are always edged out by bimmers by car mags( haters) in every class except this one. However, the Audi A8 has made a gigantic stand in overall performance and value, and style. It is a force to be reckoned with and arguably is edging out current S class or has edged it out. barely

this is total fiction since the current s class hasnt won or even come close to winning a multi car comparo in years. even the british magazines usually have it no better than 4th. of course facts dont mean anything on the internet.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:59 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Originally Posted by S55inPA
hi guys,

is the Lexus LS 430 a better vehicle?
No