S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

For everyone that is to dumb to look at photos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bucket on wheels
Originally Posted by gbahri
This is for everyone that is b!tching and can't stop to look at pictures.

1. The I drive is not used like the BMW. There are 2 buttons near the controller. One says (cd/fm) and one that says (nav/tv) So obviously you don't have to use it to get to the screen. Now past that I don't know.

2. Everything the Comman does can be done from the steering wheel, so all of you stop your whining. You are the same ones that whine because the E class doesn't do enough with it's steering wheel. Happy now?

3. The A/C can be used by 2 ways.

A. Command unit
B. It has its own buttons made out of metal (note not cheap plastics so stop whining) under the command so you don't have to use Command.

Now everybody please stop your whining and look at pictures.

You people say AUDI IS T3E AWESOEMMMEME!!! yet it uses a knob also.

Please... Plus Audi A8 interior has always looked like crap.
thank you And i agree mercedes isn't going to commit suicide by providing its customers with a faulty, hard to use product. And as far as everyone complaining about mercedes copying Bmw's interior. First look at the maybachs interior now add the command by the instrument cluster and take out the stick and put it on the steering wheel and voila you have the new S class.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
Originally Posted by norb
That's what I was trying to say. Yes there are dedicated buttons for the A/C but the visual feedback is far from the buttons. So when you want to change something say going 60mph, you need to look at the button then look at the Command screen, instead of the old way where the display is next to the button. How is this better? What happened to Merecedes' vision of form follows function?

Just like the keypad is totally stupid. Buttons are way to small and way out of view, why not on the dash? Dumb. Look at the button for the trunk opener, right next to the window buttons! How totally stupid. The Hazard switch in now hidden on the arm rest! Is that the best place for it?
Those buttons are for the cell phone and its all going to be voice activated so lets say you have to dial a phone number that is not in your phone book, you have to look down reguardless it doesn't matter if its one foot closer and in the center consol. Its the same thing. Everything else is going to be controlled via steering wheel. I don't know about anyone else but i use my steering wheel to control eveyrthing in my car minus the A/C and the same can be done in the upcoming S class.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:47 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Rest

Speaking of buttons, did anyone notice that the new S-Class has retained the "rest" button ? So much for decontenting. Glad they kept it.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
Speaking of the "rest".
What about this , the outside that is? The other fotos are all fakes!

I wish this wasn't fake.

Last edited by Paldi; 06-24-2005 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
i don't think there's any problem having buttons far away, especially for the phone. firstly there's voice activation and secondly, for most people i know, there's no need to see the keypad to phone -- you instinctively know where the numbers are (ok, at least i do ) i'm sure there are alternative methods of text/number input as well. nokia are the masters of ergonomics and i'm sure they've figured something out.

what i'm more interested in is how well bluetooth integration is... and will there be (*gasp*) T9 in the text input system. that would certainly be a first for a car and the only way for SMS to be meaningful =) haven't seen much detail from merc regarding technical specs yet

i agree it looks a little abrupt, that console, but will have to see it to b sure. the W220 now looks really sleek compared to this beast, but i'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh, on the road -- the swage line is looking good =)