S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

STICKY PROPOSAL: Saw w221 in person for the first time today.....Thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VIPER
STICKY PROPOSAL: Saw w221 in person for the first time today.....Thoughts

Hey guys,

I think it would be great to have a thread stickied wherein we could share w221 spottings and initial impressions. I'm sure that over the next month or so the spottings frequency is going to increase.

I saw 2 of them today (one in motion, one at the dealership, both silver) and I must say they look alot better in person. I find the the car to have a athletic stance (I'm not sure if thats a oxymoron on such a large car), and really nice overall proportions. The car is indeed taller and wider, but more in the sense of perceived road presence than in useless bulk. One thing that annoys me about longwheelbase vehicles is the awkward proportions of the front and rear door glass, like the AUDI A8l looks as if someone is pulling on its trunk, lol. Not so on the w221, great balance in its design.

The fenders are going to honestly be the toughest thing to get used to, and even they were not as offensive as the e65 BMW's trunk was back in 02. The rear of the car does have the Maybach-ish bustle however its not overdone. I do think all red tailights would smoothen the rear (the current bi-sected ones appear "disheveled")

I am the first to say that the w220 is one of the best looking cars on the road today (PERIOD), however with time all things must evolve and I am excited to see what the return of the "big-bodied" Benz brings.

What do you other first-timers think?
Old 01-11-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
I agree that the 221 is much better in person than pictures...
I got to drive the one my dealer has and I was very impressed with the interior and the motor, both are vast improvements over the 220.

I tend to disagree with that the 220 is one of the best looking cars. It never won me over and most people I know never fell in love with it either.

Driving the 221 reminds of the 140 for some reason... big and bold. exactly the manners an S class should portray.