S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

First S550 major problems!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 2006 750Li
First S550 major problems!!

I went to Auto Stiegler in Encino today to test drive the new S550 and I was told that the car has a lot of problems and that they can not repair it so they sent it to the Vehicle Preperation Center at the port.....
The dealer did not want to discuss the nature of the problems, but he hinted that they were computer related.
I just can not believe that Mercedes got it right from the getgo, when it took BMW 5 years to get a stable 7 series, and they still have problems.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:13 PM

"A Mercedes-Benz product"
Do you ever say anything remotely intelligent that merits a response? The Mercedes dealer probably lied to you and said that they were having problems with the S550 because they didn't feel comfortable letting a 17 year-old that pulled up in a Toyota Echo test drive a car that is worth infinitely more then your education. Please leave, TROLL!
Old 02-04-2006, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
actually, you might have jumped the gun there. in general 2006_750Li_ED has been pretty balanced - at least as balanced as most of us here

one thing i do wonder though is why, 2006_750Li_ED (could you please get a shorter nick? lol) need to test drive it a few times? since you've already test driven it once.

anyway, the "computer trouble" was probably (if true at all - dealers do spout BS often) just a simple reset of the systems. we already have several members with the W221 and so far i have not read about a problem yet.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:47 PM

BMW 2006 750Li
Originally Posted by MeanBENZdriver
Do you ever say anything remotely intelligent that merits a response? The Mercedes dealer probably lied to you and said that they were having problems with the S550 because they didn't feel comfortable letting a 17 year-old that pulled up in a Toyota Echo test drive a car that is worth infinitely more then your education. Please leave, TROLL!
Thank you for the complement, It has been 28 years since someone thought that I am 17. I went to Auto Stiegler today to try the car again, since i am seriously considering buying one once they give the 7% european delivery discount, I was planning on buying one for 6 months and then relelling it for what I bought it for, especially in the beginning when dealers are trying to sell the car over sticker.
for those of you who are unwilling to believe that the car has problems and was sent to the Vehicle Preparation Center at the port for repair... call
1-866-430-0200
this is the dealership's number, ask them where their demo car is. (don't ask the receptionist as she does not have a clue).

Guys, use your common sense when buying a brand new technology and investigatate. I resisted buying an E66 7 series when it first came out in 2002, and I did well, i want to make sure that the new S class was properly tested before I buy one, and perhaps I should wait until next year to see a track record.

MeanBENZdriver.... you have an appropriate nick name, perhaps if you could afford to own an S550 you wouldn't be so gelouse of others who can. I could have a lot of fun tearing you apart verbally, however I think that the proper response is to ignore you, it is people like you who ruin it for others who are looking for facts, do your homework and then judge, words are cheap (perhaps like the car you drive).
Old 02-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
MeanBENZdriver.... you have an appropriate nick name, perhaps if you could afford to own an S550 you wouldn't be so gelouse of others who can. I could have a lot of fun tearing you apart verbally, however I think that the proper response is to ignore you, it is people like you who ruin it for others who are looking for facts, do your homework and then judge, words are cheap (perhaps like the car you drive).
Check his sig? But then again, could be the next NOTKTS.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2006_750Li_ED
I thought that you said words are cheap? So, why did you choose to participate in something you want to ignore? If you really want to tear me apart verbally, It would be to your benefit to take some lessons in spelling, tough guy. Rarely do I engage in arguments over the Internet, but I think this person, 2006_750Li_ED, contributes nothing to these forums. I hope I'm wrong, but after reading his posts, and wondering why he wants to test-drive the same car twice, leaves me suspicious. You mentioned that I ruin it for others who are looking for facts. After reading all your posts, what kinds of facts are you contributing or searching for at MBW? It looks like I hit a nerve with one of the comments I made, so if I did, I'm sorry.

P.s. It's jealous not "gelouse."

Last edited by MeanBENZdriver; 02-04-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by AsianML
But then again, could be the next NOTKTS.

LOL, I forgot to add my Boeing Business Jet to my sig. Let me go around the Internet and find some pictures to post.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
LOL, I forgot to add my Boeing Business Jet to my sig. Let me go around the Internet and find some pictures to post.
Might I suggest the "heat pictures" thread in the Off topic forum. A couple of pics of planes and jets there.

LOL
Old 02-05-2006, 01:09 AM

05 CLK 320
as our comrades say, this thread is pointless without pictures ??,,
Old 02-05-2006, 02:01 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by cracker123
as our comrades say, this thread is pointless without pictures ??,,
Here are some pictures of the new jet that I bought last week.

OH YEA! 750Li What? S550 Who?

Last edited by MeanBENZdriver; 02-05-2006 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:24 AM

BMW 2006 750Li
I thought that you said words are cheap? So, why did you choose to participate in something you want to ignore? If you really want to tear me apart verbally, It would be to your benefit to take some lessons in spelling, tough guy. Rarely do I engage in arguments over the Internet, but I think this person, 2006_750Li_ED, contributes nothing to these forums. I hope I'm wrong, but after reading his posts, and wondering why he wants to test-drive the same car twice, leaves me suspicious. You mentioned that I ruin it for others who are looking for facts. After reading all your posts, what kinds of facts are you contributing or searching for at MBW? It looks like I hit a nerve with one of the comments I made, so if I did, I'm sorry.

P.s. It's jealous not "gelouse."
I figured that you would correct me on a word you understand so well. Perhaps I hit a nerve, so I am sorry too.

The bottom line is that I bet that you have not called the 800 number I provided to check my story, you would probably find some lame excuse to tell us why you would not. there is an S550 demo car that the dealer can not fix and was sent back to the Vehicle Preparation Center at the port. That is a fact, deal with it any way you like. And I do test drive the same car many times, perhaps you buy a car without testing it.... I do not spend $100,000 without test driving the car until I am convinced, and with this car I am not convinced that it drives better than my BMW, however I do see an opportunity if I get get one cheap through through European Delivery, and since I would not keep it more than 6 months the loss would be minimal, howevr it does not appear theat a Discount is applied to European Delivery, and they only have 8 cars allocated to European delivery in the near future. so it does not appear that I will be buying the car any time soon, and don't take me wrong it is a great car, but not much different than what I currently have.

Last edited by 2006_750Li_ED; 02-05-2006 at 04:26 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 SL 550
SL 550 not so new.

I saw the SL550 (called SL500) at Frankfurt Auto Show in September. It has been sold in Germany and other countries since then. We are just now getting SL550 in USA. MB has had time to work out bugs, since it has been in production since August. So, it is really not a "new" car. The US market is too big a market to be the test bed.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
All of the "test" S550's at the American dealerships are owned by MBUSA. They are all to be returned to the Vehicle Preparation Centers and examined for how they performed over the past month.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:32 PM

BMW 2006 750Li
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
All of the "test" S550's at the American dealerships are owned by MBUSA. They are all to be returned to the Vehicle Preparation Centers and examined for how they performed over the past month.
According to the person I spoke with this car failed and because of that it was sent. there are 2 more dealers next to me and one of them has no apparent problems with the car, and a third one is saying that he does not want to show the car as it would hurt the inventory they have of 2006 S class cars, but I know that the car is owned by MBUSA and they must show them, so I am not ruling out that their car is also at the Vehicle Preparation Center, but that is my pure speculation, they said that the GM was sriving it, and I saw him arrive in a different car......

And just because the car was sold since August in Germany (my information shows December, but I may be wrong) these 6 months are not enough to test a car, especially when they are talking about limited production.

I think that we have exhausted this finding of mine to its fullest, I posted it for you guys to know and all you are suppose to learn from this is that this car may not be perfect from the getgo, and by buying the first models a certain risk is being taken, especially considering the history BMW had building a similar car, I sure hope hat Mercedes tested the car really well this time, and that there are fewer manufacturing defects than the other models they sold in 2006.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:07 PM

2005 S55
Originally Posted by 2006_750Li_ED
According to the person I spoke with this car failed and because of that it was sent. there are 2 more dealers next to me and one of them has no apparent problems with the car, and a third one is saying that he does not want to show the car as it would hurt the inventory they have of 2006 S class cars, but I know that the car is owned by MBUSA and they must show them, so I am not ruling out that their car is also at the Vehicle Preparation Center, but that is my pure speculation, they said that the GM was sriving it, and I saw him arrive in a different car......

And just because the car was sold since August in Germany (my information shows December, but I may be wrong) these 6 months are not enough to test a car, especially when they are talking about limited production.

I think that we have exhausted this finding of mine to its fullest, I posted it for you guys to know and all you are suppose to learn from this is that this car may not be perfect from the getgo, and by buying the first models a certain risk is being taken, especially considering the history BMW had building a similar car, I sure hope hat Mercedes tested the car really well this time, and that there are fewer manufacturing defects than the other models they sold in 2006.
I'll start by assuming you're totally correct and above board .. if that is the case perhaps you should pay attention to what all is being said here and other places about this car. This is the ONLY report of a malfunction I have even heard of .. the BMW7 certainly had many issues from the word go .. if you are honest about trying to determine if this car has issues than you would look at the fact that NO release (even 5th years releases of existing models) has 0 problems with any cars .. so unless you can point out more than just one example in a sea of complimentary opinions your entire heading for this thread seems very calculated and biased, especially when taking your screen name into account.

I own an S500 and tend to shy away from first year releases of any cars .. but aside fro your blanket statement on all 550's from your one example the reviews seem to be glowing thus far.

If you're truly trying to be objective perhaps you will take these factors into account before making your judgement and passing it off as fact when .. in fact .. it's really just a very limited opinion based on single instance.

Last edited by shaw01; 02-05-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
750LI is a troll. Read his old posts...he already has taken 2 S class test drives and has bashed the car on both occasions. He apparently loved the car so much that he needed to take it for yet another test drive, a third?
Enjoy your 7 series, let us know when you want to move up to the big boy German cars.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:10 AM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
Why does everyone take his words as a personal attack? I don't think that this is a new concept: Buyer beware in the first year of production!!

Has anyone on this board ever had a problem with a first year release? My W211 was filled with problems that have been addressed over and over in that forum.

In September of 03' I was the 1st one in my area to test drive the demo 530i when it rolled off the truck. Tranny went out down the street and had to walk back to the dealer. That particular car(sport pack) was out of use for two weeks.

It appears that anyone who voices an opinion that is anti MB is a flame thrower or a troll. Give the guy a break and make him feel welcome. All opinions that are not off topic enhance this forum.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:31 PM

2005 S55
Originally Posted by jprescott
Why does everyone take his words as a personal attack? I don't think that this is a new concept: Buyer beware in the first year of production!!

Has anyone on this board ever had a problem with a first year release? My W211 was filled with problems that have been addressed over and over in that forum.

In September of 03' I was the 1st one in my area to test drive the demo 530i when it rolled off the truck. Tranny went out down the street and had to walk back to the dealer. That particular car(sport pack) was out of use for two weeks.

It appears that anyone who voices an opinion that is anti MB is a flame thrower or a troll. Give the guy a break and make him feel welcome. All opinions that are not off topic enhance this forum.
Well personally I don't have a problem with him telling us what he had heard . .in fact that can be helpful .. but when he titles it "550 Has Major Problems" and starts a thread basically stating the S550 as a product has major problems when no one else has mentioned any techinical or physical problems I think it's like lighting a match in a theatre and yelling fire.

If he were to be at all objective and say what he heard (again, this is all heard, not seen or witnessed by him even though he has test driven two of them..) and then others began reporting problems we'd know there might be something wrong .. but to just hear something once and make it sound like the entire release has problems makes it look like has an axe to grind.

So it's not the info, it's the manipulation of it .. this person test drove 2 S550's .. he may not have liked them but were there any technical issues? Did they break down? If there was a problem with the one sent to this one specific dealership, that's good to know .. if there are more reports then we can see a pattern .. one "report" of a problem does not a pattern make.

So buyer beware .. but also beware of people on a Benz forum with a BMW sig. yelling "fire" ..

Last edited by shaw01; 02-06-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:50 PM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
Originally Posted by shaw01

also beware of people on a Benz forum with a BMW sig. yelling "fire" ..
Good point
Old 02-06-2006, 04:20 PM

2001 E320
Well personally I don't have a problem with him telling us what he had heard . .in fact that can be helpful .. but when he titles it "550 Has Major Problems" and starts a thread basically stating the S550 as a produt has major problems when no one else has mentioned any techinical or physical problems I think it's like lighting a match in a theatre and yelling fire.

If he were to be at all objective and say what he heard (again, this is all heard, not seen or witnesses by him, and he has driven two of them..) and then others began reporting problems we'd know there might be something wrong .. but to just hear something once and make it sound like the entire release has problems makes it look like has an axe to grind.

So it's not the info, it's the manipulation of it .. this person test drove 2 S550's .. he may not have liked them but were there any technical issues? Did they break down? If there was a problem with the one sent to this one specific dealership, that's good to know .. if there are more reports then we can see a pattern .. one "report" of a problem does not a pattern make.

So buyer beware .. but also beware of people on a Benz forum with a BMW sig. yelling "fire" ..
I agree with you; just check out all of his threads... they all start out with a small compliment to Mercedes-Benz but end by ripping the S-Class and then telling us why BMW is so great. On a previous post I complained that he is just a troll but then got ripped myself.

Maybe he really DOES like Mercedes-Benz products better than his BMW; maybe he really has the MONEY that he represents himself to have based on what he drives and wants to buy... maybe he really has the EDUCATION that it typically takes to have the career to be able to buy high-end luxury vehicles. Does he drive a BMW 7-series or a Toyota Echo? Who knows, and really, who cares? I just don't happen to believe his posts; others probably do... and that's the power of the Internet.

Anyone can be anything they want to be but just because it's 'posted' doesn't necessarily make it true. I will always wonder why someone goes to a brand-specific forum and continuely complains about that particular brand but touts the one that he drives. At the top of this page, it does say '...for the Mercedes-Benz enthusiast'.

Hey, 2006_750Li_ED, by the way, I heard from a friend of a friend, who has a good but unnamed source, that his wifes' uncle's cousin, thought he had heard or read somewhere that BMW's were a better vehicle than Mercedes because... (blah, blah, blah...) so it looks like you must be right! Oh, wait a minute; I think he got the information from one of your posts so now I now his information is worthless. Here's to waiting for your (yawn) reply...

Last edited by Richard / E320; 02-06-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:36 PM

2005 S55
Originally Posted by jprescott
Good point
Hey, check me out, I'm a member now! I think that means I'm slacking off at the office .. but at least I'm not "almost a member" anymore! Yeah, but so what! :p
Old 02-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Hey, check me out, I'm a member now! I think that means I'm slacking off at the office .. but at least I'm not "almost a member" anymore! Yeah, but so what! :p
Pfffft... :p
Old 02-07-2006, 12:53 AM

BMW 2006 750Li
I can not believe how many speculations you guys are willing to make instead of calling the dealership I visited, I even posted the telephone number, but all I see is criticzm.
The S550 is a good looking car, and is obviously Mercedes's answer to the 2002 BMW 7 series, I would say that I can not see a clear winner between the two, and judging by the amount of trouble BMW had (and still has to some degree) I can not believe that Mercedes figured it right with the first shot.
I am seriously considering the purchase of the S550 for the purpose of reselling it in 6 months if I can get a discount through European Delivery, I do this all the time, I am driving my 2nd 2006 750Li already, and already working on its replacement.
I am seriously concerned about the possibility of the S550 having too many defects for a good reason, being a 1st year of a very hard car to build judging by how hard it was for others.
I am not trying to discourage or encourage anyone to do anything, this is a free country and anyone can voice their opinion.

I did not call anyone a Troll or asked people to leave or insulted anyone, however apparently this forum is infected with some fanatic blindfolded diehard hot headed cult of Mecedes fans.
Personally I dont care about these people at all, life is full of bullies who like to get their way, however real people who actually spend $100,000 do test drive the car more than 3 times, and if they don't then they should.
I will admit one thing, finding one car with problems does not make a trend, but if nobody reports problems then how can we establish a trend? especially so early.
So instead of focusing on me, call the dealership I visited and prove me wrong, or verify the first reported major problem that a dealer could not fix.
It is Auto Stiegler in Encino California, ask them where is the drivable demo test car.
Stop being lazy, do your homework and judge by the facts presented to you, whatever they are.
Regarding other 2006 Mercedes products too many friends of mine who bought in the last 6 months are complaing a lot, for example one bought a 2006 SLK280 for his wife and the transmission died in 2 days, another bought a 2006 ML350 also for his wife and the stereo is messed up, the windows will not close and the moonroof gets stuck... read the consumer reports and verify what I am talking about. (by the way BMW is NOT much better). I have a few problems with my 750Li, on the first one I got the transmission was jerky when driving slowly (stayed in 1st too long) the Sound System would not remember where I left it when I shut the car off and turned it on again, I had the navigation stop working a couple times, and had to reboot the computer by shutting the car off for 2 hours....
on the current car I have engine wobbling when the car is cold (the 1st car had this problem too) also most 750 cars have a problem with the windshield, it is loose and causes an enoying vibration while driving in temperatures under 65 , another problem is Service, BMW has none, if you have a problem they want to upgrde your software.... they have no clue on how to fix this car. a software upgrade on the 7 series usually does not work the first time around and needs several tries, thus it take 2-3 days to get anything done on the car, and they give you a cheap loaner if you are lucky....
I was hoping that Mercedes has a better service, but my friends tell me that they are not getting any either....
so call me whatever you want, I am telling you the truth and only the truth, just like it is. You want to belive blindly to all the prooters who probably work for Mercedes then you will only hear what they want you to hear.... beautiful pictures, success stories and they will bash everything else.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Have you heard of proper grammar? Paragraphs? Just curious.

Last edited by MB Fanatic; 02-07-2006 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Have you heard of proper grammar? Pragraphs? Just curious.
Hey, be really careful with this one, he says he can verbally tear a person apart. Man, I'm really "gelouse" of this 750li_BLAH_BLAH person.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: First S550 major problems!!