S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

NEW S65 or BENTLEY CONTI FLYING SPUR???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scared of being stalked
Originally Posted by CLFREAK
Damn - I still can't decide between the two. I see, sit in and drive a new W221 and love it like it was made for me. I do the same with a Spur and have the same reaction - the difference: I think I get more looks of admiration in the Spur, but it's not fair, as the Benz is stock and I NEVER leave my Benzes stock.

Despite the VW Phaeton stigma that no one fails to illuminate when it comes to evaluating the new-age Bentleys, the Spur will still fall into the a-Bentley-is-a-Bentley category to the masses and will always garner the top valet spot; its interior craftmanship, replete with the creme-de-la-creme of highly polished and rich veneer woods generously used and intoxicating aroma emanating from the plush hides is especially unparalleled; something the S-class seriously lacks.

But, the sleek design award for sedans of this propensity, not to mention price range, goes to the W221, at least in my book. The rear of the Spur is largely uninspiring when comparing the two. Spruce up the look of the S-class even more with a Brabus, Wald, or Lorinser aftermarket mod and damn - the ride looks even more wicked, leaving the Bentley in the realm of its somewhat stuffier and stiffer predecessors which reaked of conservatism.

I try not to let my near-20 year loyalty as a Benz customer bias my thoughts as to which I feel more at home with; the S-class felt so comfortable and like a part of me, I could operate it blind. But I don't want familiarity to overshadow fit, finish, performance, and most of all, exclusivity.

I fear that, as with the W220, and the W140 before it, the W221 will soon be a common everyday sight, and only the badge reflecting the "S65" and "V12" insignias will be the differentiation to separate the plebians from the patricians, if one even notices such cosmetically miniscule deviations.

The cars are tied pretty much when it comes to cost. The Benz will be much less hassle for servicing, but again, that is not a priority deciding factor with me.

Let me up the ante and make the competition even stiffer:

Take an S65 in your chosen color combo inside and out, with your favorite aftermarket kit, rims and rubber, panorama roof, headrest monitors, night vision, custom wood interior package, floor mats, tinted windows, and whatever other decadence, and compare it to a stock Spur (well, maybe with some nice 20" rims, but that's it).

Now, focusing on (i) what will garner more exclusivity overall, and (ii) what will hold up over time in terms of value, who is the the lucky winner???

Let's hear it from the experts!

Some nice pics of the Spur here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...QQcmdZViewItem

its funny because me and you have the EXACT same dilemma. Bentley flying spur or the s65 amg is like ali vs frazier ,it can go either way. Im leaning toward the S65 but all the points brought up in this here thread make me wanna get the flying spur, its gonna be a tough choice but either way im gonna be happy with which ever car i get. Good Luck with your decision, cuz i kno im gonna need some good luck to finally decide!
Old 04-09-2006, 04:22 PM

2001 Lorinser Edition CL600 (SOLD)
When will the S65 be available anyway??? Dealer doesn't know himself. They don't even have the S600s in yet.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:58 PM

something fast
S65 will be here july/august, the s600 is here sometime this month.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
The only Bentley truly worth buying over these newer Benzes is the Arnage. The Continental Flying Brick will only wow clueless status seekers who don't know what a true Bentley is about. The Arnage is the old-school, old-worlde aristocrat Bentley that really says something, while the Continental and its sedan cousin merely say bargain Bentley built atop a VW.

M
Old 04-10-2006, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by Germancar1
The only Bentley truly worth buying over these newer Benzes is the Arnage. The Continental Flying Brick will only wow clueless status seekers who don't know what a true Bentley is about. The Arnage is the old-school, old-worlde aristocrat Bentley that really says something, while the Continental and its sedan cousin merely say bargain Bentley built atop a VW.

M
I'm sorry but Arnage ,with all the VW improvements lately,even "T",still rides and handles worse then your typical F150 truck.
That car is in desperate need of replacement ASAP and it's value shows it ,since it has probably the worst resale of any car on the market now.
The replacement will be based on stretched FS platform,with W16 engine,sometime in next 2 years.
I'm really not sure what would be a better car,FS vs S65 (myself leaning toward 65)but getting the Bentley because I want to get it out of my system(and my wife wants it) and if I don't like it,can always replace it with MB easily.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88 Caddy on 28's
Don't finance a toy...pay it all in cash. Cash is the only way
Old 04-10-2006, 06:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by absent
I'm sorry but Arnage ,with all the VW improvements lately,even "T",still rides and handles worse then your typical F150 truck.
That car is in desperate need of replacement ASAP and it's value shows it ,since it has probably the worst resale of any car on the market now.
The replacement will be based on stretched FS platform,with W16 engine,sometime in next 2 years.
I'm really not sure what would be a better car,FS vs S65 (myself leaning toward 65)but getting the Bentley because I want to get it out of my system(and my wife wants it) and if I don't like it,can always replace it with MB easily.

Dare I say that is part of its charm. Its supposed to be somewhat of a throwback like the Mercedes G500/G55, but yes the newer Bentleys are better "cars", but they aren't as much "car" as the Arnage, IMO.

I really hope VW doesn't put the next Arnage on a VW platform. They're making money now so a new RWD platform specific to Bentley and maybe Bugatti should be in order, not another FWD/AWD re-hash.

M
Old 04-10-2006, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Germancar1
I really hope VW doesn't put the next Arnage on a VW platform. They're making money now so a new RWD platform specific to Bentley and maybe Bugatti should be in order, not another FWD/AWD re-hash.

M
Well,too late for that,they are too far advanced in development of the new Arnage for a drastic change like new platform.
Mind you,there is nothing wrong with it to begin with,it will lower the production and development costs which will allow to keep the car more attractive $$ wise vs Maybach/Looney Tunes Rolls and it will let them make it with truly bespoke interior with none of the VW bits and pieces.
BTW,can't sleep too?
Old 05-24-2006, 11:45 PM

Bentley Diamond Anniversary Tour

Check this out: www.diamondanniversarytour.com.

Extremely impressive: 15,000km, 650 test drives, 13 cities in Australia, New Zealand, South East Asia, Le Mans winning Speed 8.

No other manufacturer has done anything this size down here, not even Mercedes!

These guys have got it sorted. I'll be signing up to see the race car and see how the Flying Spur compares to the S600.

You never know...might be convinced yet - a good initiative either way....
Old 05-28-2006, 05:32 AM

S550
Everything in the s65 is far more suprior then the flying spur ( Only thing that flying spur is that it has the name )

Thats about it. If it was me and I had the money I'll just go for the S600 why even bother with a S65.

LOL
Old 05-28-2006, 05:32 AM

S550
Everything in the s65 is far more suprior then the flying spur ( Only thing that flying spur is that it has the name )

Thats about it. If it was me and I had the money I'll just go for the S600 why even bother with a S65.

LOL
Old 05-28-2006, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NY_SG

LOL
Not when you live in Chicago with our nice Winters.
AWD helps here and marginal performance advantage of the S65 is pointless when the car is to be used primarily by wife ,for school and shopping runs.
A CL65 will fulfill my needs separately.....